Bio Circulation Q Watch

rn123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What's the difference between an open and closed circulation system? I understand how a closed circulation system works because it's in blood vessels but what about open? How can it just flow around the body within nothing to contain it??

Thanks
2007PSanHa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is what it says on Wikipedia:
"The open circulatory system is a system in which a fluid in a cavity called the hemocoel bathes the organs directly with oxygen and nutrients and there is no distinction between blood and interstitial fluid; this combined fluid is called hemolymph or haemolymph.[13] Muscular movements by the animal during locomotion can facilitate hemolymph movement, but diverting flow from one area to another is limited. When the heart relaxes, blood is drawn back toward the heart through open-ended pores (ostia).Hemolymph fills all of the interior hemocoel of the body and surrounds all cells. Hemolymph is composed of water, inorganic salts (mostly sodium, chlorine, potassium, magnesium, and calcium), and organic compounds (mostly carbohydrates, proteins, and lipids). The primary oxygen transporter molecule is hemocyanin.There are free-floating cells, the hemocytes, within the hemolymph. They play a role in the arthropod immune system.
Don't know if it helps?
megha chaudhary
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
its terminology ,simply i can say open circulatory system is found in simpler organisms because not having much complex body organisation,open circulatory system means the fluid which carry oxygen and nitrogeneous wastes dnt flow in fixed tubes,it flows in whole body ,like in humans blood flows in definite blood vessels ,blood is not free to roam inside whole our gastric cavity bcz we r much complex and need closed organisation ,i wish u could undst,
2007PSanHa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
OK, I'd just say:
closed = blood travels in vessels
open = blood is free in the body and is not transported in vessels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (72)
7.75%
I used to but I don't now (26)
2.8%