Pep Guardiola - next destination? Watch

Poll: Where will Pep Guardiola go next?
Manchester City (23)
52.27%
Manchester United (10)
22.73%
Chelsea (2)
4.55%
He won't go anywhere, he'll stay at Bayern (4)
9.09%
Milan, Arsenal, Roma or other (5)
11.36%
Pimped Butterfly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
It's an open secret that Pep Guardiola will be leaving Bayern at the end of the year. I think there's a moderate chance that he'll be taking a gap year, but the two clubs that have mainly been mooted as his next destination are Manchester City and Manchester United.

Almost all sources claim that City are in pole position and confident of landing him. They've stolen half of Barca's coaches and executive staff, are cultivating a decent academy and have been after Pep with the biggest paycheck in world football, for over a year now. They're the bookmakers and pundits' favourites.

But Pep has an undoubted deep admiration for United, as reported by the Telegraph. Another biography of Pep noted that he chose Bayern because he's a romantic, who adores football's traditions. Given the way he repeatedly refused Chelsea, it's not too much to assume that he'd prefer United over City. And England seems to be his next destination, in his own words.

United, by all accounts, don't want Pep. And they definitely don't want him this summer. The reliable Daniel Taylor reports that United directors view current manager LvG as a genius, and of their belief that Guardiola would not be an upgrade. It would take an extremely poor season to have LvG removed from his post, and an approach for Guardiola to be made.

Chelsea, as always, are also contenders and will no doubt be circling. Guardiola, other than being a legendary figure, a guarantee of success and a multiple-time previous Chelsea target, is attractive to Roman Abramovich because of his teams' beautiful football. Only once in 12 years since taking over has Roman been granted his wish of beautiful football (under Carlo Ancelotti) and Pep's near-reinvention of attacking football, combined with Chelsea's managerial vacancy and current shambles will make the second richest owner in football more desperate than ever before.

Left field choices; Arsenal? Wenger seems pretty secure for now but it's conceivable that Pep takes a gap year, and Arsene's contract runs out in 2017. Italy? Roma will probably have a vacancy and Guardiola did spend a short period of his playing career there. Milan are one of the greatest clubs in the game and in need of an overhaul.

My gut feeling is that he won't go to City. He's not a plastic ****. The worries of him going to Chelsea are harder to shake off though. If I was Pep, I'd wait for United or go for a left field move. Maybe go to a smaller club and build his own dynasty there; see what Clough did for Forest or Maradona for Napoli.
Jimmy Seville
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Arsenal should be it's own option. It is an internet poll after all.
Mackay
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My gut feeling honestly says City. The might they'll yield politically now the Chinese are on board, as well as financially, is extremely promising. He'll want to be on board with that, and enjoys a relationship with members of the City board already. I think he'll end up in Manchester whatever happens, and I'd say City are a nose in front of United in the race.
ClockEnderAFC
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If Pep becomes available this summer and shows in interest in becoming Arsenal manager Wenger should step down even though his contract won't have finished.
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think he's heading to City, because United gave off vibes that they weren't interested because he felt he was off to City. Once Pep's given his word, like he did to Bayern in 2013 when SAF told him to call before he got a job offer but didn't, then it's game over for any other club to lure him. I'd be surprised if he's thinking about his next job to the extent that he's said yes to a club but got an idea of where he wants to go but could be persuaded to change his mind if he hasn't given his confirmation yet. Time for Woodward to speed dialling him relentlessly!
Odium
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
imo he's heading off to city

Coventry City
Nickini
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ZDF (apparently very reliable in Germany) reporting he's off to City with Ancelotti taking over at Bayern.

https://twitter.com/ZDFsport/status/678230081542758400
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nickini)
ZDF (apparently very reliable in Germany) reporting he's off to City with Ancelotti taking over at Bayern.

https://twitter.com/ZDFsport/status/678230081542758400
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35144474

Now confirmed what you said.

How will his legacy be viewed at Bayern?

Bundesliga: 2013–14, 2014–15
DFB-Pokal: 2013–14
UEFA Super Cup: 2013
FIFA Club World Cup: 2013

This season still to go and he reached the CL semi-finals both years. Personally I feel like he achieved about par in terms of titles. Got Bayern playing to a higher standard generally and no doubt made a huge impression on German football.
atom y humber
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The only options should be man city, manchester sky blues, fc city of manchester, Sheik Monsieur financial enterprise Manchester division.

It's an open secret he's going to city.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I reckon Man City as Mourinho will probably end up at United.
AR_95
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How is Arsenal not winning
Jimmy Seville
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AR_95)
How is Arsenal not winning
There's no #SSNHQSanchez option.
uniofoxbridge
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Where else but to Arab City? Guardiola has proven himself to be a true mercenary time and time again. Mercs like City would suit him best
TaintedLight
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This guy will win Premier League in his first season :yy:
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A really good piece in the Guardian this weekend, on how Pep is exceptionally high maintenance and will need to be indulged.

I can see him going to City. I can't see it being anywhere else, other than maybe Arsenal. I get the feeling Arsenal would like Guardiola to take over the reins from Wenger, but the timing is obviously not right.

City want to be loved and universally adored as champions, so Pep's image suits that. United are altogether more nasty, willing to be hated, willing to dominate, willing to court controversy and provoke reaction, so Mourinho would be a more natural fit for that club. They'd relish him.
Radical Don Juan
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
A really good piece in the Guardian this weekend, on how Pep is exceptionally high maintenance and will need to be indulged.

I can see him going to City. I can't see it being anywhere else, other than maybe Arsenal. I get the feeling Arsenal would like Guardiola to take over the reins from Wenger, but the timing is obviously not right.

City want to be loved and universally adored as champions, so Pep's image suits that. United are altogether more nasty, willing to be hated, willing to dominate, willing to court controversy and provoke reaction, so Mourinho would be a more natural fit for that club. They'd relish him.
This is exactly why I don't see why Guardiola is the good guy of football in contrast to the villain Mourinho. Pep always does some great things, but he always does it with the winds in his favour, best players, compliant board, Mourinho has won a lot in quite difficult situations and brought greatness to players you might have written off.

In many ways Mourinho is the great equaliser in football.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Radical Don Juan)
This is exactly why I don't see why Guardiola is the good guy of football in contrast to the villain Mourinho. Pep always does some great things, but he always does it with the winds in his favour, best players, compliant board, Mourinho has won a lot in quite difficult situations and brought greatness to players you might have written off.

In many ways Mourinho is the great equaliser in football.
To be successful, you need to be a *******. There's not much I'm certain of in this world, but that's one thing I'm pretty sure of.
Radical Don Juan
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
To be successful, you need to be a *******. There's not much I'm certain of in this world, but that's one thing I'm pretty sure of.
Pep is like Steve Jobs in computing, he has the Jesus-like aura of the good guy, the elegant genius, but behind the scenes he was known for being ruthless.

I think he's very fake, but I do respect his genius
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Radical Don Juan)
Pep is like Steve Jobs in computing, he has the Jesus-like aura of the good guy, the elegant genius, but behind the scenes he was known for being ruthless.
I don't think you get anywhere in sport - or business - by lacking a ruthless edge.

You see similar traits in all leading coaches/managers in any field - ruthlessness, pragmatism, leadership, determination, meticulous attention to detail etc.
Betelgeuse-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When will people learn that managers have only a very small effect on a team? Maybe 3-5 points a season over other managers

Give Pep Norwich City or Southampton without the hundreds of millions of pounds
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
22.91%
The paper was reasonable (428)
44.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.2%
It was TERRIBLE (135)
14.12%

Watched Threads