The Student Room Group

I've been to a 'normal' secondary and am at an independent sixth form. AMA

As above. I've spent my whole life at a 'normal' comprehensive secondary and primary school with lower than average attendances/grades, but am now at an independent sixth form, self proclaimed as being one of the best in the country. Note that I got in through a bursary scheme. Ask away :smile:
Bigfoot, true... or real?
Original post by TheGuyReturns
Bigfoot, true... or real?

I can't believe it until I see it for myself.
How can I be as unoriginal as possible when seeing an AMA thread? pls respond!!
Well I completed my pre-university education at a couple of independent institutions. I am, therefore, quite interested to know if you've detected any differences between a "normal" school an independent one? Did you find it/are you finding it hard to adjust?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Indeterminate
Well I completed my pre-university education at a couple of independent institutions. I am, therefore, quite interested to know if you've detected any differences between a "normal" school an independent one? Did you find it hard to adjust?

At first, there was a huge difference. But that was mainly because of the different GCSEs that the independent school did. I had done a majority of normal GCSEs whereas the students at the independent had done iGCSEs. This meant that they knew more than I did when starting the A Level course. It was overwhelming at first, as I felt quite isolated since there wasn't many who had joined in the sixth form and everyone already had their friendship groups. The teachers seem to be much more supportive where I am now. That may just be due to having less pupils to have to deal with.

Another huge difference is the lessons. At the state school, the lessons were much longer and a lot of time consisted of repeating things so people could understand the content. Whereas, where I am now, lessons are much shorter and the teaching is much more concentrated and we tend to get through a lot in a short amount of time as everyone is expected to (and usually do) keep up. Then again, if you start to struggle, teachers are much more accessible it seems, and are more willing to spend break/lunch/after school to make sure you understand. They just seem to be much more dedicated to their job. This is just on average. There are a couple at the state school who were really dedicated and vice versa.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest