Ukip Voters - Is it time for a new leader?

Watch
ben.anderson
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am an open UKIP supporter, I know that's unpopular amongst
most left-wing opinions on these forums. I don't agree with everything they say or do but they best represent my views.

A question mainly for the UKIP voters out there, is it time Nigel Farage is replaced. I know hes the one who built the party to make it mainstream. However since the whole election scandal with the "stepping down" then becoming leader again. Then of course blaming everyone for loosing Oldham by-election, its starting to become a joke. The party just isn't growing like it was, I think Douglas has a point; we need a fresh leader as Nigel is very marmite. Personally I have always been a big fan of
Steven Woolfe, I think he could go far and would make a great leader. I think if UKIP has got any future, it needs to stop blaming everyone for defeats and provide a more modern approach (I don't agree with there stance on gay marriage for example).

Nigel has been great, but I think he should leave before it all collapses after the hard work put in to make it a mainstream party.
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In Farage we trust.
JezWeCan!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Farage is a gifted communicator, and streets ahead of anyone else in the party.

He could start an argument in a phone box though. He has managed to alienate Carswell, Evans, O'Flynn, everyone practically. It is his way or the highway.

Sad to say, unless he recovers his mojo and makes his peace with everyone else he needs to go. It isn't going to happen however, and there isn't a viable successor, which is even worse.

The issues UKIP articulate haven't gone away though. Populist, anti EU parties are on the rise throughout Europe, the party may need to evolve or mutate into something else, but it will survive in some form as a powerful pressure group.

Breaking the mould and getting significant parliamentary representation is another matter. It is too hard in our system. The SDP couldn't do it and neither will UKIP.

Four million votes and one MP says it all. UKIP's focus, Farage or no Farage should be on breaking this failed political system, as well as highlighting the folly of uncontrolled immigration and the fact that we transitioning from a nation state to a province, within the EU. And there will be an appetite for that for our current polity is increasingly discredited, even if the country votes to stay.
sleepysnooze
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what's wrong with farage? he doesn't split his party like corbyn or clegg
Bulbasaur
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
UKIP peaked in the polls around a year ago, increasing temporarily every now and again depending on how much of an issue immigration is at any particular time. They've lost their momentum now though it seems - membership has stalled, they're performing absolutely dreadfully in council by-elections (last stat I heard is that on average there's a -10% swing - although nobody is talking about this), etc. With their current direction they'll be lucky to retain their 1 MP, let alone gain more (The election showed us clearly how you can carry millions of voters but doesn't necessarily gain you any representation). Any Tory MP who was toying with the idea of defecting 2 years ago is probably breathing a sigh of relief.

If they want the party to survive, they're gonna have to find someone to carry the party onwards. Yes they have plenty of MEPs, but nobody knows their names. To most people, UKIP are a one-man party. Perhaps a leadership change right now is not the best idea, but unless someone is going to be able to fill that position within a few years (as well as some other members rising to becoming household names), they're a bit ****ed.
Gabrielxucram
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope, time for a new party, mate.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
UKIP's problem with Farage is he is bigger than the party. Getting rid of Farage runs the risk of the party going backwards unless there is someone with equally big personality/charisma in the wings.

Although personally I would love to see Kilroy-Silk and Godfrey Bloom make a comeback, just for the ****, giggles and car crash.
Bulbasaur
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quantex)
UKIP's problem with Farage is he is bigger than the party. Getting rid of Farage runs the risk of the party going backwards unless there is someone with equally big personality/charisma in the wings.

Although personally I would love to see Kilroy-Silk and Godfrey Bloom make a comeback, just for the ****, giggles and car crash.
Or even better, how about the man who founded the wretched thing itself: Alan Sked (who in recent years has written about his regret given how the party turned out today).

Seems funny to think the man was an academic who placed himself on the centre-left. Whereas these days the party is undeniably on the right, and is frequently associated with anti-intellectualism (e.g. they're climate skeptics...)
whorace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quantex)

Simple. Make a new office like chairman, make Farage the chairman, appoint a new leader. Win win, public gets a new face, Farage is still the main power in UKIP
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, Nigel Farage is the leader who has brought UKIP to the attention of all in the country; he has an ability for self-publicity, has the capability to appear normal, and has the support of the party members behind him.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ben.anderson)
A question mainly for the UKIP voters out there
Existing voters have already been persuaded. It's the swing voters who should be the main consideration here. "Are there potential UKIP voters that are put off voting for UKIP because of Farage personally or the strategy he has put forward for the party?" is really the question you ought to be asking.

For my part, as someone who would probably never consider voting UKIP, I think there's a time in every political history where leaders become more of a hindrance than a help. Party loyalists are usually far keener to keep them, recognising what they have achieved, but ignoring the opportunities that a new direction could give them.

Farage is undoubtedly a skilled politician and has been a great asset, but if UKIP wants to be a serious political force, they have to change significantly from what they now are. As people have mentioned, climate change scepticism, opposition to same-sex marriage and several other policies that are incidental to their overall objectives are putting them out of step with the mainstream. Farage is one thing holding them back from growing.
balanced
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I like Nuttal. But, only if we stay in the EU.
richpanda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In Nigel We Trust. He hauled the party from the depths and is an honest man.
acupofgreentea
Badges: 13
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gabrielxucram)
Beat me to it!
Joel 96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by acupofgreentea)
Beat me to it!
Shut it, Corbyn!
~
I very much like Farage. He's the driving force of the party, most definitely.
acupofgreentea
Badges: 13
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Joel 96)
Shut it, Corbyn!
~
I very much like Farage. He's the driving force of the party, most definitely.
I wouldn't mess with me. I'm a threat to national security, just ask Cameron.
Gears265
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gabrielxucram)
Who? The only other remotely anti-EU party is the Tories and even then they are mostly up the *** of the EU
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ben.anderson)
I am an open UKIP supporter, I know that's unpopular amongst
most left-wing opinions on these forums. I don't agree with everything they say or do but they best represent my views.

A question mainly for the UKIP voters out there, is it time Nigel Farage is replaced. I know hes the one who built the party to make it mainstream. However since the whole election scandal with the "stepping down" then becoming leader again. Then of course blaming everyone for loosing Oldham by-election, its starting to become a joke. The party just isn't growing like it was, I think Douglas has a point; we need a fresh leader as Nigel is very marmite. Personally I have always been a big fan of
Steven Woolfe, I think he could go far and would make a great leader. I think if UKIP has got any future, it needs to stop blaming everyone for defeats and provide a more modern approach (I don't agree with there stance on gay marriage for example).

Nigel has been great, but I think he should leave before it all collapses after the hard work put in to make it a mainstream party.
Yes and it should be Susan Evans

Posted from TSR Mobile
JezWeCan!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by paul514)
Yes and it should be Susan Evans

Posted from TSR Mobile
Suzanne I think.
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't think of a better leader for UKIP than Farage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (97)
61.78%
No (60)
38.22%

Watched Threads