?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Chicken Soup
rxns_00
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Banana virus X)
Drugs to include Alcohol

Obviously we are not talking the odd lemon lemsip.

Reckless, Habitual users etc. Should new borns should be screened at birth? Same for mothers? If positive results... Take the new born away?. The woman to prison?

Maybe they should have to take a drug test still within the abortion window? If positive then a forced abortion?
A law banning drug use during pregnancy would be helping to keep the unborn child healthy and alive, so you're literally contradicting the whole thing with your forced abortion solution?
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lmao, a forced abortion. That seems progressive.
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RonnieRJ)
A law banning drug use during pregnancy would be helping to keep the unborn child healthy and alive, so you're literally contradicting the whole thing with your forced abortion solution?
People like this rarely care about the actual life at stake, just the punishment of others.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So mandatory drug tests for women? No thanks, I'd rather not love in a country with such a powerful paternalistic state.

There is a reason why the state rarely forcibly takes babies away from mothers who are a mess... the outcome for the child is generally worse.

As for forced abortions, just no.

If you want to improve the lot for women with substance abuse problems and their babies, plowing money in proper mental health provision would be a better place to start.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Withdrawal can be fatal too. Better if they're off it completely and withdrawal free before considering having a baby.

Accidental pregnancy? ... I have conflicting views.

Isn't it already illegal to take those drugs without a prescription? Not talking about alcohol here of course. But other stimulants, depressants etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2151383
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The point is that continuing with the pregnancy and the kid growing up with potentially severe health problems or a bad childhood due to the mother's drug-use would be more harmful than ending the pregnancy at a point where the fetus will not get hurt
SmashConcept
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because if making drugs illegal didn't work, obviously the solution is to make them super duper illegal.
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well this is a bit extreme but I think it's disgusting when women take drugs during pregnancy.

I saw a video of a newborn suffering drug withdrawal a couple days ago and the baby was shaking violently, It's so horrible and selfish to do that to your baby.
sleepysnooze
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well, if we have laws as mundane and unnecessary as compulsory seat-belt usage when you're driving, then I don't actually know what the standard of "needed" and "unneeded" laws in this day and age is because there is a mixture of both good and ****ing laughably stupid laws, yet the government looks at them both and gives them a thumbs up

my first impression is "yes" because it violates the harm principle technically, and it is an act which affects the health/pleasure of someone else. for all those that might say "this is the government getting involved too much" - the government is never "too involved" when somebody is being unfairly harmed inescapably. I'm a libertarian as it is, and just because it isn't second nature (seeing as we don't even have the debate on this law today), it doesn't mean that it's something we shouldn't possibly legislate for
rxns_00
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by defenestrated)
The point is that continuing with the pregnancy and the kid growing up with potentially severe health problems or a bad childhood due to the mother's drug-use would be more harmful than ending the pregnancy at a point where the fetus will not get hurt
Not really because drug use isn't going to guarantee illness. Even if so, the child is still wanted by the mother so why shouldn't it have a shot at life?

If the mother is willing to change she should receive counselling and go to rehab for whatever drug it is she's using. This can solve the bad childhood problem. Or the child could be adopted. There's no way some ****ty government officials should have the power to force someone into abortion.
sleepysnooze
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not really because drug use isn't going to guarantee illness. .
...you're not actually implying here that just because harm isn't *guaranteed* that this means that pregnant-drug-use should be allowed though, right? tell me I'm wrong...
Li_Qun_Yan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If this law is passed, the government would require more money to enforce this law and it would eventually translate to increased taxes.
Depending on the current situation, this law should either be passed or not passed.
Bupdeeboowah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A law which criminalises such activity (but does not go so far as what OP suggests) would be much welcomed, because it would be hard to prosecute the mothers, considering that foetuses are not considered to be human beings - so the normal criminal charges of manslaughter, ABH/GBH would not apply.

Though I'm not aware of any law which currently exists
callum_law
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
A law which criminalises such activity (but does not go so far as what OP suggests) would be much welcomed, because it would be hard to prosecute the mothers, considering that foetuses are not considered to be human beings - so the normal criminal charges of manslaughter, ABH/GBH would not apply.

Though I'm not aware of any law which currently exists
If you did prosecute and imprison the mothers, you'd be taking them away from their child in the time the child most needs them. It's a petulant idea which has not been thought out too well.
Bupdeeboowah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by callum_law)
If you did prosecute and imprison the mothers, you'd be taking them away from their child in the time the child most needs them. It's a petulant idea which has not been thought out too well.
That is assuming that a druggie mother would be capable of taking care of her children.
callum_law
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
That is assuming that a druggie mother would be capable of taking care of her children.
You can take drugs without being a smack head or a vagabond.
Bupdeeboowah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by callum_law)
You can take drugs without being a smack head or a vagabond.
But more often than not they would be idiots considering that they were consciously consuming drugs while pregnant in the first place.
Nefarious
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Substance abuse is a health problem not a criminal issue and should be treated as such. If you want pregnant addicts to stop using drugs driving them away from help with yet more criminalisation is not the way to achieve it.
bardnnyc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not really because drug use isn't going to guarantee illness. Even if so, the child is still wanted by the mother so why shouldn't it have a shot at life?

If the mother is willing to change she should receive counselling and go to rehab for whatever drug it is she's using. This can solve the bad childhood problem. Or the child could be adopted. There's no way some ****ty government officials should have the power to force someone into abortion.
Any pregnant woman playing Russian roulette with the life a baby should be heavily penalised. She does not deserve such baby and yes government should come in and hit her so hard...that includes people who smoke near babies and children.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (103)
5.13%
Uncertainty around my education (302)
15.04%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (213)
10.61%
Lack of purpose or motivation (279)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (90)
4.48%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (114)
5.68%
Loneliness (175)
8.72%
Financial worries (72)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (88)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (95)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (110)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (178)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (189)
9.41%

Watched Threads