The Student Room Group

how much do you think it would cost ''you'' to drive 400 miles ?

Hi

I now drive a 2006 mk2 focus sport 1.8 TDCI 1.8 DIESEL

I probably spend around £150 - £200 a month on diesel , was more like £300 a month in my petrol car

I refilled my car to brim again last week and it took 45 litres from very near fuel light coming on to full to the brim ( despite my car supposedly having a 52.3 litres capacity )
Anyway after refilling my car today I looked how many litres it had taken to fill to the brim and it was 45 litres, costing around £48 in diesel and I had covered 400 miles

That was driving on some short motorways journeys driving quite fast, driving around town 88% of the time and trying to drive eco friendly about 10% of the time

Do you think my economy is okay ?

What cost do you it would be for you to drive 400 miles ?
About the same.
I have a petrol 1.6 ford focus. costs me £52 last time i filled the tank from reserve, so at £1.09 ish. and a tank does me 420 ish miles
Reply 3
I can probably get 400 miles from £50 worth of petrol, depends how I drive though, haven't got beyond 375miles from a tank in a few months though as I haven't driven as carefully or had long journeys to ease out the economy.
Why do you have a sport diesel? That's like buying an energy efficient lightbulb with racing stripes on it.

Smh
From my parents' house to my flat is about 440 miles and usually costs about £40 in total (one full tank). This was when petrol was £1.19-ish.

That's all motorway though. When I commute to uni and back I probably have to fill the tank every other week and I reckon I get about 300 miles with it.

Edit: I drive a 17y'o 1L car so probably not the most economical thing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
No idea.
Does it matter?
Reply 7
Original post by TattyBoJangles
From my parents' house to my flat is about 440 miles and usually costs about £40 in total (one full tank). This was when petrol was £1.19-ish.

That's all motorway though. When I commute to uni and back I probably have to fill the tank every other week and I reckon I get about 300 miles with it.

Edit: I drive a 17y'o 1L car so probably not the most economical thing.

Very economical for such an old engine

If you don't realize that then you must be a peasent
Reply 8
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Why do you have a sport diesel? That's like buying an energy efficient lightbulb with racing stripes on it.

Smh

Huh ?
Original post by I love life
Very economical for such an old engine

If you don't realize that then you must be a peasent

I didn't say it wasn't economical for an old car though, did I? Just in comparison to modern ones, particularly for day to day driving (I would imagine - it's the only car I've ever driven).
Original post by TattyBoJangles
I didn't say it wasn't economical for an old car though, did I? Just in comparison to modern ones, particularly for day to day driving (I would imagine - it's the only car I've ever driven).

Yes you basically did say that

Besides, your averaging better mpg tha some of my friends who own cars that are less than 10 yrs old
Original post by Schrödingers Cat

Smh

What's wrong with a sport pack on a diesel? It just gives you pretty nice options on an engine that might not otherwise have those options. The sport pack on my (diesel) car gives me a six speed box - which is nice for towing - a bigger clutch than the five speed, factory lowered suspension, auto wipers, nicer seats, climate control, and a couple of extra lb/ft of torque over the non-sport version of the engine.

In reply to OP, my fuelly average cost/mile number puts me at £45.20 for 400 miles. That would be lower but I didn't record the 2000 miles we drove through France, so it's mainly calculated on city driving with the odd motorway jaunt. She's got a fairly big tank on her though, with the cruise control set to a sensible speed I can get well over 600 miles to a tank on the motorway.
Ugh **** depends on the roads. 25-30mpg aint to fun for 400miles lol. About £70ish.

Ive seen 36mpg before but that was sitting at 55 along a busy M8. The moment you hit a 80-90mph cruising speed your well in the 20s. The price I pay for a 280bhp box.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending