The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Which college?!

So I know this has been asked a thousand times, but could anyone tell me which college at York is best for me? I get that no one college will fit my "criteria" entirely but I just thought I'd ask to get a general idea. Mainly I'm hoping to go somewhere nice and friendly which I'm sure they all are, so I know that I'll be happy whichever college I go to.
But basically I have a few specific things which I really hope to have in a college:
A good music scene
A good student-staff relationship
Of course nice friendly people
Enough facilities like laundry, kitchen, etc.

Sports isn't that important to me but it doesn't matter either way. Also I don't mind too much how close I am to the city centre as long as there's a bus that can regularly provide transport.
Naturally I would prefer ensuite and for me self catering is a big thing...but I'm flexible!

Sorry if that doesn't fit any of the colleges :wink: So far I'm considering Goodricke....but I'm worried the size of it might make it hard to find friends?

Thanks!! :smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya!

Goodricke sounds like a good choice!

I would recommend you have a look at Vanbrugh College as well (http://www.york.ac.uk/colleges/vanbrugh/) as it is situated nearby music facilities and is one of the closest college's to walk to the city centre from. There are also regular buses (around every 8-10 minutes) to and from the city centre. Alcuin is another good choice as all of the accommodation is self-catered and again is a short walk to the city centre.

Hopefully some of our students will reply to give you a better idea of their college life!

Thanks,

Annie
University of York
York
Original post by MozForever
So I know this has been asked a thousand times, but could anyone tell me which college at York is best for me? I get that no one college will fit my "criteria" entirely but I just thought I'd ask to get a general idea. Mainly I'm hoping to go somewhere nice and friendly which I'm sure they all are, so I know that I'll be happy whichever college I go to.
But basically I have a few specific things which I really hope to have in a college:
A good music scene
A good student-staff relationship
Of course nice friendly people
Enough facilities like laundry, kitchen, etc.

Sports isn't that important to me but it doesn't matter either way. Also I don't mind too much how close I am to the city centre as long as there's a bus that can regularly provide transport.
Naturally I would prefer ensuite and for me self catering is a big thing...but I'm flexible!

Sorry if that doesn't fit any of the colleges :wink: So far I'm considering Goodricke....but I'm worried the size of it might make it hard to find friends?

Thanks!! :smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here to rep Derwent college...
Very close to the bus stops for the 66&44 (I can walk out my room to the stop in about 2 minutes)
Student-staff relationship is good, the porters are friendly
I haven't met anyone unfriendly so far! I think Derwent offers the best student experience out of all the colleges.
Contrary to popular belief the accommodation is absolutely satisfactory and there is no "Lad Culture" here.
It's certainly the best college to make friends in; it's extremely social. At Goodricke you'd be right in saying it's far more isolated, similar to Alcuin (which is known as the "quieter" one).

Music wise, the practice rooms are in Derwent College, so it's very close by, and anyone in the Uni can join the musical societies and bands. If you mean gigs wise, it's also a strong contender!
Also, if your course is on Hes West campus (the original one) then I'd strongly recommend applying for accommodation on Hes West as the trek from Hes East to Hes West can get tedious, if not actually very far (depending on where you have to be...). Plus, if it's 8:30am and you miss the bus you'll probably be late if you don't want to walk it.
As Annie has stated Vanbrugh would be the second strongest contender for the music side of things, despite its awful college logo and suboptimal social side of things. (Plus they actually have asbestos there) (in the old accommodation, and I think it was recently discovered and removed. Still...)

I'd be happy to answer any more questions you have about Derwent, and I totally believe you'd have a great time there. Ask away!

N.B: I am slightly biased.
A good music scene:
Vanbrugh has the best facilities if you want to play music but you really don't need to choose the college for that there are plenty of music societies if you mean for going out to listen to music the clubs in York only play generic mainstream stuff and derwenters go out the most if you want that
A good student-staff relationship:
This really doesn't matter its on your course it'll matter and it'll be about the same at every college
Of course nice friendly people: if by this you mean social people Derwent followed by James are the best choices hes east and Alcuin are literally social ghost towns
Enough facilities like laundry, kitchen, etc.: laundry is about the same everywhere as for kitchen sizes Derwent, James, Vanbrugh are joint worst Alcuin and Hes east colleges have the best but you will be paying serious money for hes east, In all I doubt you'll be disattisfied with the kitchens anywhere on campus unless you end up in Derwent F block which is an exception.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
what is goodricke like? and a good/fun repuatation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending