The Student Room Group

Powerlifters & Physique

Scroll to see replies

To be honest I think this myth has been dying down ever since powerlifting no longer became synonymous with special equipment, partial reps and the Westside method.
Original post by Smack
To be honest I think this myth has been dying down ever since powerlifting no longer became synonymous with special equipment, partial reps and the Westside method.

For sure.
Original post by Smack

This

Few could argue with a lot of the lighter raw powerlifter and their physique

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sae.HH
I noticed there's a common myth lurking not just on TSR but in general that powerlifters are chubbsy wubbsies. Just wanted to post some videos of powerlifters who aren't massively tall/overweight so people can gage their physique and draw their own conclusions.

[video="youtube;YI-CU9_GUd4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI-CU9_GUd4[/video]

shame on you
clarence does oly lifting
Reply 24
Original post by Straighthate
shame on you
clarence does oly lifting

Shhh still a beast session, look at dat control going down, 0 ****s given :wink:
Original post by Sae.HH
That was beautiful! Is that the record in the 125kg+ class?

Most likely, the guy is only 23 as well (I think). Unbelievable strength
Original post by Sae.HH
I noticed there's a common myth lurking not just on TSR but in general that powerlifters are chubbsy wubbsies. Just wanted to post some videos of powerlifters who aren't massively tall/overweight so people can gage their physique and draw their own conclusions.

[video="youtube;YI-CU9_GUd4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI-CU9_GUd4[/video]

Harry Potter has put on some serious mass since defeating Voldemort.

(But Clarence is a weightlifter, not a powerlifter)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Appeal to reason
Harry Potter has put on some serious mass since defeating Voldemort.

(But Clarence is a weightlifter, not a powerlifter)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't you mean Harry Squatter?

Haha yeah I'm aware, I just wanted to use this as an example, I'd definitely put weighlifters closer to powerlifters than bodybuilders anyway. In terms of traditional intensity and volume. Although their moves are super tough to do well :frown: Still working on my clean though. :biggrin:
Reply 28
The beast strikes again

Harry Squatter and the Chamber of Gains.

[video="youtube;AvrzgKsRnJ0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvrzgKsRnJ0[/video]
All the top powerlifters do plenty of hypertrophy work. It's common knowledge that a bigger muscle has more potential for strength, so naturally the strongest guys do specific hypertrophy work and use drugs to aid in gaining mass. The difference between an advanced bodybuilder and an advanced powerlifter is that the powerlifter isn't bothered about some muscles appearing slightly out of proportion to others, or getting their posing down to a tee so they look big in photos and on stage, or getting shredded for contest time.

So, the long and short of it is, when people are saying "Look at [insert name of top powerlifter], he's huge and he's a powerlifter and trains like a powerlifter", those very same guys that they're talking about are in the gym fairly regularly repping out with dumbbell shoulder presses or over in front of the mirror doing curlz. The only reason they're doing low rep strength work is because you get stronger a bit quicker and if you're lifting maxes in competition, obviously you wanna practice lifting maxes; whereas this is of no use to the guy who just wants to get bigger, he'll still get strong as hell in a moderate rep range for progressive overload purposes.
Original post by Sae.HH
The beast strikes again

Harry Squatter and the Chamber of Gains.

[video="youtube;AvrzgKsRnJ0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvrzgKsRnJ0[/video]

**** me.....is he on PED's? Super sayain strength that is :lol:
Reply 31
Original post by trapking

This isn't the record for the IPF drug tested 105 weight class but the record for the 93 weight class is 303, he can go higher though just going parallel though I guess. He says he isn't and says he'll compete (probably at an Olympic level?) eventually, but who knows. The only guy I fully believe who I follow is Tom Martin. Natty or not though, hella impressive.
Original post by Sae.HH
This isn't the record for the IPF drug tested 105 weight class but the record for the 93 weight class is 303, he can go higher though just going parallel though I guess. He says he isn't and says he'll compete (probably at an Olympic level?) eventually, but who knows. The only guy I fully believe who I follow is Tom Martin. Natty or not though, hella impressive.

he probably is on PED's but still hella impressive indeed! Doing 5x5 with 260kg high bar like its nothing dat work capacity :lol:

Is this a genuine question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber

Posted from TSR Mobile

it was yes....problem?
it was yes....problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile

300kg
ATG
Paused

Elite genetics and dedication only get you so far. If you have to ask, the question is probably yes! :tongue: :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

300kg
ATG
Paused

Elite genetics and dedication only get you so far. If you have to ask, the question is probably yes! :tongue: :smile:

fair play, thanks :tongue: :lol:
Reply 37

Posted from TSR Mobile

The main reason I trust Tom Martin is he posted a thread/video back in 2010 or something talking about his 300k deadlift back when he was like 19 or something at university and all the other guys were just like... 'dude I don't think you realise how strong you are, either that or you're a troll'
Reply 38
Original post by Prince_fancybum
the reason powerlifters typically have a high body fat is because they're just training for power, not for physique like a body builder so won't go through a bulking and cutting cycle. To improve muscle size and power they're going to need lots of fuel so will eat a lot, thus resulting in them storing fat from the calorie surplus they're often in

Exactly! People think that Bodybuilders are super strong. They obviously do have strength cause they have to put their muscles under a lot of time and tension. But compared to powerlifters they are so much stronger because the goal is different. If a power lifter was to cut and focus on isolating certain muscles they could get pretty close to a body builder type physique. But a body builder trying to lift like a powerlifting is not as straight forward transition cause they don't posess that kind of strength.
Original post by Prince_fancybum
the reason powerlifters typically have a high body fat is because they're just training for power, not for physique like a body builder so won't go through a bulking and cutting cycle. To improve muscle size and power they're going to need lots of fuel so will eat a lot, thus resulting in them storing fat from the calorie surplus they're often in

i was under the impression most powerlifters did cut/bulk. i mean unless you're in 120/140+ you're going to need to get bigger while staying lean so unless you just gain weight super slow i don't see what other options there are.

besides, getting toooo fat does hinder performance iirc

Quick Reply

Latest