The Student Room Group

Applying to UCAS with a bad past

Hi there, this is a unique situation but I can elaborate on any points if necessary.

I'm a UK citizen, i have A levels from 2011, and I have attended university for two years already, but dropped out because of various circumstances. This has been the history of my UK education. My A levels are CCC in mathematics, chemistry and computer science, they are not impressive and come from a time where I had all the qualities of a bad student, I did not study and I rarely attended class.

Fast forward two years from then, I'm now currently living in the US on an F-1 International Student visa enrolled in a community college. I recently turned 24 this year, and since beginning studies all over again I have consistently been an A grade student. I've grown close to the professors that have taught me here, and education has become something that I hold to a high value.The level of study is roughly equivalent to what I was doing in my A2 classes.

That said, I don't know if I am making the right financial choice taking an associates degree back home with me to the UK. I am looking at applying to foundation degrees in the UK for a 2016 start disclosing the information here in a personal statement, but I am concerned my history may come off as erratic and unstable. It would be unfortunate for me to stop education here only to be turned down entry into a UK university because the only recently completed degrees I have are my unimpressive A levels.

I want to make logical choices financially towards getting a better education, I'm looking at degrees in mechanical engineering, or mathematics + physics. I'm a fond problem solver and since starting school over again, a terrible workaholic. How are universities back home going to view my story?
Original post by David.n
Hi there, this is a unique situation but I can elaborate on any points if necessary.

I'm a UK citizen, i have A levels from 2011, and I have attended university for two years already, but dropped out because of various circumstances. This has been the history of my UK education. My A levels are CCC in mathematics, chemistry and computer science, they are not impressive and come from a time where I had all the qualities of a bad student, I did not study and I rarely attended class.

Fast forward two years from then, I'm now currently living in the US on an F-1 International Student visa enrolled in a community college. I recently turned 24 this year, and since beginning studies all over again I have consistently been an A grade student. I've grown close to the professors that have taught me here, and education has become something that I hold to a high value.The level of study is roughly equivalent to what I was doing in my A2 classes.

That said, I don't know if I am making the right financial choice taking an associates degree back home with me to the UK. I am looking at applying to foundation degrees in the UK for a 2016 start disclosing the information here in a personal statement, but I am concerned my history may come off as erratic and unstable. It would be unfortunate for me to stop education here only to be turned down entry into a UK university because the only recently completed degrees I have are my unimpressive A levels.

I want to make logical choices financially towards getting a better education, I'm looking at degrees in mechanical engineering, or mathematics + physics. I'm a fond problem solver and since starting school over again, a terrible workaholic. How are universities back home going to view my story?

If finance is important, then you should consider how you would meet the costs of a UK course. To be charged UK/EU fees, you would need to be resident here for the three years up to the start of the chosen course. To get a loan from the student finance company for a foundation degree, it needs to be the first year of a full degree course. The loan will be for the length of your course (plus an extra year if required), less the two years that you have already spent studying for the earlier degree course.
Reply 2
Original post by Holmstock
If finance is important, then you should consider how you would meet the costs of a UK course. To be charged UK/EU fees, you would need to be resident here for the three years up to the start of the chosen course. To get a loan from the student finance company for a foundation degree, it needs to be the first year of a full degree course. The loan will be for the length of your course (plus an extra year if required), less the two years that you have already spent studying for the earlier degree course.

I've got enough saved up to cover two full years of £9,000 tuition if necessary, but I don't have enough to cover living expenses on top of that. I've been in the US on the visa waiver program and F-1 visa status for about 5 months total now. But I still have a permanent UK residence, as required of my F-1 visa status, but I have been living in a US address for the last 5 months of three years.

I was on a maintenance grant when I first went through university back home, plus part time income.
Original post by David.n

I strongly discourage that you make your personal statement about your less than perfect academic history. A personal statement is meant to be mostly about the subject you're applying for, showing what you've done to pursue your interest in that subject in your own time, what you enjoy about it and so on. It's not supposed to be an apology for the past. Just write a decent personal statement, apply strategically, and hope for the best.

Although, your finances might be an issue because you might not qualify for Home/EU fees and international fees are eye-watering at most UK universities.
Reply 4
Original post by Hydeman
Although, your finances might be an issue because you might not qualify for Home/EU fees and international fees are eye-watering at most UK universities.

Even if I'm a British national with permanent residency?

Thanks for the tip about the personal statement.
Original post by David.n

Thanks for the tip about the personal statement.

No worries. If you really feel that your circumstances require an explanation, ask your referee to explain it in the reference.

To qualify for Home/EU fees, you have to be a British citizen or have indefinite leave to remain in the UK; you also need to have lived at a UK address for something like three years prior to the start of the course. You can always contact Student Finance about it just to get a more authoritative answer though. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by David.n

The fact that according to US law you do not have US residency does not mean that under English law you will necessarily be taken to have been resident here during the last three years.
Original post by David.n

The rules on home status tuition fees are here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/779/pdfs/uksi_20070779_en.pdf

(see, for instance,
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/finance/policies/homefees/ )

It may be that regulation 6 applies, but as Hydeman/Nulli Tertius say, do check with the universities (for the tuition fee decision) and with Student Finance (for the loan).
If you have lived outside UK for more than three years you will be classed as an international student. You have to be here for three years before the start of your course before you are classed as a home student. I was in a similar situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending