What new phone to get? Samsung galaxy? Watch

asaaal
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have an iPhone (always end up getting one) but i think theres probably better phones out there?

My limit is about £30 a month
I don't know what to get! I would like it to have a decent camera please!!

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Hippysnake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
An S6 edge would be a good bet. You can probably get them for £30 a month now.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by asaaal)
I have an iPhone (always end up getting one) but i think theres probably better phones out there?

I've written a guide on the best smartphones available that you can read here, which should give you an idea of the features that different phones and brands have to offer. For a high spec phone with a emphasis on camera quality, the Galaxy S6 is probably your best bet for around £30 per month.
MartinBraggs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by asaaal)

The Nexus is v.good.
It's personal preference at the end of the day : )
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd probably get either a Samsung Galaxy S5 / Note 4, or the LG G4 (if it's not too expensive). I've avoided mentioning the Galaxy S6/S6 edge/S6 edge + because none of those have an SD card slot, which if you're going to be taking a lot of photos/videos (what the camera would be needed for), then it's always handy to by an external SD card so you have a bit more storage space.

I didn't mention the HTC One M8 or M9 because, from what I've heard, the camera isn't brilliant.

But yeah, I'd also take a look at Gofre's very helpful guide that he has written.

As for price, also depends on which network and how many minutes/texts/data you need. Also remember that some networks are better for coverage than others.
mesbahuddin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you are looking for a phone with good camera quality then I think iPhone is the best option. If you want to go for something else then take a look on Sony Smartphones. As far I know Sony has good Camera Quality.
Subspace
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Overall I would recommend the LG G4 or the LG G3, which have the best cameras, performance and build quality for an extremely good price, both with removable batteries and SD card slots. They also have some of the longest battery runtimes in a smartphone (no other phone is as efficient as LG when the phone is sleeping - approx 1% used pre hour).

The Nexus 5X is also a very good option but lacks an SD card slot, however stock android with the latest updates is great.

If you prefer Samsung Galaxy and iPhones, then the maximum you should go is the iPhone 6 (maybe the 6 plus if you want a larger display) and the Galaxy S5 (the S6 is only just better than the 2013 LG G2 which is really disappointing for Samsung) in terms of quality for the price paid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
musicfreak82
Badges: 0
Report 3 years ago
I've read that the Galaxy S6 of Samsung has had some bugs... but perhaps they've solved their problems in these months.

I've got a P8 of Huawei and I only can recommend it.
_Dreamville_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have the Nexus 6p, got the 64gb version for 500 which I think is a great price for what you get. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Samsung UI, but everything else about them is good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Second for Huawei P8, generic Samsung/iPhones are a bit dull imo and Samsungs are always cheaply made and feel it in the hand, Huawei is top end but also feels it in the hand.
Pharmaholic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Okay well I used to have a HTC, but their customer service has truly appalled me so because of that, I hate them!

I've always disliked iPhone but i currently have a 5S. It's not too bad, very responsive and easy to use.

Samsung are good, they're very similar to HTC imo, but I don't know what their customer service is like!!
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm paying £29 a month for the Samsung S6 Edge, it's a really good phone and I'd definitely recommend it

Posted from TSR Mobile
MJ1012
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Wouldn't touch any of the new Samsungs.
More slippery, more likely to smash when dropped, constant fingerprints, easily scratched, handle hot and cold temperatures poorly and no longer waterproof despite getting rid of access to the battery (will go to **** within 2 years) and removing the sd card slot (greedy twits)

The Note 4 looks good though.
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i have the S6
pretty good but samsung no longer allow you to change batteries/ use an SD card so iPhones and Samsung Galaxys are the same now
it's about which OS you like

though i will say with Samsung S6 you get more RAM than an iPhone 6 and also more memory for the same prices *
Spoiler:
Show
*don't quote me on this - i read it in some article when choosing between the 2
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MJ1012)
Wouldn't touch any of the new Samsungs.
More slippery, more likely to smash when dropped, constant fingerprints, easily scratched, handle hot and cold temperatures poorly and no longer waterproof despite getting rid of access to the battery (will go to **** within 2 years) and removing the sd card slot (greedy twits)

The Note 4 looks good though.
Yeah, from what I can see the Note 4 and the S5 are the last two half decent high end Samsung phones. The S6/S6 edge/Note 5 all share the same problems; no SD card slot, no removable battery. And of course, the back of the phone being glass is more likely to smash than the plastic (and removable) backs of the S4/S5/Note 3/Note 4 etc.

And why couldn't they have made the S6 era waterproof? The S5 was waterproof AND had a removable battery/SD slot.

Unless Samsung decide to put in at least an SD card slot on their new phones, I'll be switching to another manufacturer when my S4 finally gives up the ghost.
MJ1012
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by spotify95)
Yeah, from what I can see the Note 4 and the S5 are the last two half decent high end Samsung phones. The S6/S6 edge/Note 5 all share the same problems; no SD card slot, no removable battery. And of course, the back of the phone being glass is more likely to smash than the plastic (and removable) backs of the S4/S5/Note 3/Note 4 etc.

And why couldn't they have made the S6 era waterproof? The S5 was waterproof AND had a removable battery/SD slot.

Unless Samsung decide to put in at least an SD card slot on their new phones, I'll be switching to another manufacturer when my S4 finally gives up the ghost.
My S4's on its last legs but can't find anything I like to replace it since the new Samsung series are so poor.
Don't even get me started on the removal of the IR blaster, airview and the note 5's s pen...
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My S4's on its last legs but can't find anything I like to replace it since the new Samsung series are so poor.
Don't even get me started on the removal of the IR blaster, airview and the note 5's s pen...
According to Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ith_IR_blaster

The Galaxy Note 5 doesn't have an IR Blaster but the Galaxy S6 does. However, I still wouldn't go for anything newer than an S5/Note 4, due to the battery, SD and possibly durability issues.

As an example on what I'm on about, there's a video here demonstrating an extreme durability "drop test" on the S6 edge (the S6 will be the same as it also has a glass back). Drop the S6/S6 edge on it's back (either by accident or by purpose) and the back is going to shatter. That wouldn't happen with the plastic back that previous Samsung's had.

Hopefully the Note 4 and the S5 are coming down in price, since they were released in 2014. If you don't want either a Note 4 or S5 (earlier versions won't be any better than your current S4) then your best bet is to avoid Samsung entirely and look at other manufacturers.
MJ1012
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by spotify95)
According to Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ith_IR_blaster

The Galaxy Note 5 doesn't have an IR Blaster but the Galaxy S6 does. However, I still wouldn't go for anything newer than an S5/Note 4, due to the battery, SD and possibly durability issues.

As an example on what I'm on about, there's a video here demonstrating an extreme durability "drop test" on the S6 edge (the S6 will be the same as it also has a glass back). Drop the S6/S6 edge on it's back (either by accident or by purpose) and the back is going to shatter. That wouldn't happen with the plastic back that previous Samsung's had.

Hopefully the Note 4 and the S5 are coming down in price, since they were released in 2014. If you don't want either a Note 4 or S5 (earlier versions won't be any better than your current S4) then your best bet is to avoid Samsung entirely and look at other manufacturers.
I was after the edge+ initially. Was going to go for something a bit bigger.
The cheapest I can find a note 4 is £330. Not bad, but a bit underwhelming to purchase something that expensive that's already over a year old and won't be getting updated past marshmallow.
And if I see another reviewer talk about the "improved build quality" I'll lose my mind.
Glass and metal are not good materials to make a phone out of, nor are they necessarily expensive, they've taken away the waterproof ability, made it more likely to be dropped, more likely to break when dropped and much harder to fix when broken, every surface area is covered in fingerprints and is easily scratched. In no way is that device of a better build quality.
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was after the edge+ initially. Was going to go for something a bit bigger.
The cheapest I can find a note 4 is £330. Not bad, but a bit underwhelming to purchase something that expensive that's already over a year old and won't be getting updated past marshmallow.
In which case, you'll probably want to go for something like an LG G4 - which is newer, has a large screen and still has the expandable storage/removable battery.

My S4 cost me £380 when I got it a year and a half ago. I'm still running Jellybean 4.2 OS on it, because I didn't want to upgrade to Kitkat 4.4, and although 5.0 Lollipop is available for it, I don't want it to slow down my device or cause other issues. When apps start dropping support for Jelly Bean, I'll put Lollipop on it, but by then chances are I'll be needing a new phone anyway. It's only been the last 6 months or so that apps have started dropping support for Gingerbread 2.3 OS anyway!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (353)
46.26%
No (81)
10.62%
I'm not old enough (329)
43.12%

Watched Threads