The Student Room Group

Why are BTEC students underestimated?

Scroll to see replies

Engineering I get, but investment banking? That's an odd one. How does Physics interact with that? Or is it merely because it's seen as a respected degree?
Original post by Drunk Punx
Engineering I get, but investment banking? That's an odd one. How does Physics interact with that? Or is it merely because it's seen as a respected degree?

the latter. investment banking firms usually just want someone whose studied quantitative topics and physics is all quantitative.
If you do/did not study IB or A levels,you're limiting yourself,regardless of what anyone says. 😊😊
Original post by Drunk Punx
I'm not sure if that was a terrible attempt at refuting my point or merely stating the obvious.

Your assertions that "Construction is a joke" (exact quote) and "Physics students are better" (paraphrasing) become redundant when the real world kicks in; it doesn't matter how much you achieve during your Physics course, even post-graduate, when you consider that you can get your CSCS card and walk onto any construction site and ask for a job straight out of college. Whereas with Physics you have to go through University to even stand a chance of getting a job in your field, and even then the competition will be so stiff there's an equal chance of you ending up working at McDonalds just because you need the money.

It's all very well throwing an elitist academic attitude around, but it speaks for itself that a 24 year old bricklayer can be on at least £10/hour whereas a Physics graduate can be rifling through job websites due to not being able to get a job in their field. So while doing Physics may well "prove" how academically intelligent you are compared to someone doing Construction, in the long run the laws of probability regarding professional success are heavily weighed in the Construction students favour given the amount of jobs and career prospects available to them compared to the amount of jobs available doing Physics. You could even go as far to suggest that Construction students are more intelligent regarding common sense because they're looking out for themselves in the long run instead of winging it on a chance.

Ergo, your claim that Physics students "are better" is wrong. The potential to earn more can, but not necessarily will, lie in favour of the Physics student, but the Construction student stands a much better chance of working in their field and starting to earn potentially decent money straight out of education (not to mention the transferable skills which will enable you to start up a business and become self-employed in the unlikely event that you can't find a job on site. When was the last time you heard of a self-employed Physics expert? :tongue: )

Hmm... thinking.... I did construction and the teacher even said its full of chavy scumbags, I did it myself I regret doing it. They all smoked, weed etc.

Now for Physics... Maybe a teaher? Astrophysics is highly competitive and physicist too, there are a TON of job and theories to be made in Physics section.

£10/hr while teachers earn £30/hr.
Original post by ckfeister
Hmm... thinking.... I did construction and the teacher even said its full of chavy scumbags, I did it myself I regret doing it. They all smoked, weed etc.

Now for Physics... Maybe a teaher? Astrophysics is highly competitive and physicist too, there are a TON of job and theories to be made in Physics section.

Most teachers don't make anything like that, at least at the start of their careers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
Most teachers don't make anything like that, at least at the start of their careers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

" Start ", what if they from Cambridge University of Education Studies with Physical science? They won't start on minimum wage will they eh.
" Start ", what if they from Cambridge University of Education Studies with Physical science? They won't start on minimum wage will they eh.

They will start on the same wage as a teacher from a less prestigious university. There is a national pay scale.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
They will start on the same wage as a teacher from a less prestigious university. There is a national pay scale.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, who told you this?
Lol, who told you this?

Who told you anything different? The department of Education didn't write a pay scale saying that all NQTs would have to start on x unless you went to a particular university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
Who told you anything different? The department of Education didn't write a pay scale saying that all NQTs would have to start on x unless you went to a particular university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go and look on Indeed.com

You regret doing it because if the lifestyles of the students in the class, or you regret doing it because you didn't enjoying what you were learning about? The latter's far more believable, whereas the former seems like poor causation.

Also, smoking weed isn't exactly indicative of a lack of intelligence. Pink Floyd, The Beatles, countless other musicians, Philosophers, and scientists have toked in the past.

Teacher's don't earn £30/hour off the bat. I know this because I know someone who studied Physics at University and is a Physics teacher :tongue:
At college level, perhaps. But generally you have to work your way up to that level by proving yourself at teaching schoolkids first, and you don't get paid £30/hour working at a state school. Whereas you will get paid £10/hour working in a construction site quite easily, more if you prove yourself to be skilled.

What's the old adage? "Those that can't do, teach"? Yeah, if you can't find a job within the field of Physics you could always fall back on teaching (which you'd need other qualifications for anyway). But that's akin to wanting to be a plumber and ending up working as a ganger.
As an A level student it embarrasses me knowing so many of your think you're gods gift and can belittle BTEC students... Get a grip lmfao
Original post by Sacred Ground
As an A level student it embarrasses me knowing so many of your think you're gods gift and can belittle BTEC students... Get a grip lmfao

Can only laugh really. Selectivity bias at its finest

*all b'tches with a superiority complex run to comment on BTEC students to subconsciously distract from their own feelings of insecurity*

EDIT: Though, when looking at a few random profiles, I can see people taking the p' out of BTEC's... so maybe TSR is just proportionally over-saturated with these people. Who knows.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hellodave5
Can only laugh really. Selectivity bias at its finest

*all b'tches with a superiority complex run to comment on BTEC students to subconsciously distract from their own feelings of insecurity*

EDIT: Though, when looking at a few random profiles, I can see people taking the p' out of BTEC's... so maybe TSR is just proportionally over-saturated with these people. Who knows.

Hahaha, totally agree! It's just sad that these so called 'superior academics' cannot fathom that everyone has different learning styles and therefore A level structure isn't for everyone - but they think it's okay to mock individuals because of this. I'm going to become a BTEC activist I swear :L
Hahaha, totally agree! It's just sad that these so called 'superior academics' cannot fathom that everyone has different learning styles and therefore A level structure isn't for everyone - but they think it's okay to mock individuals because of this. I'm going to become a BTEC activist I swear :L

Haha! Honestly, I owe so much to my BTEC, so very happy to defend them :tongue:

Not sure I would have got in uni if I stuck with A levels; but because of the BTEC I did I have ended up with a first class degree, doing a MSc in clinical neuroscience, and probs end up doing a PhD or medical degree. Know of quite a few others too. (not trying to blow my own horn, but just to illustrate).

Just annoys me so much when people write others off as a lost cause, especially when it is just because they are doing a certain type of course.
Haha! Honestly, I owe so much to my BTEC, so very happy to defend them :tongue:

Not sure I would have got in uni if I stuck with A levels; but because of the BTEC I did I have ended up with a first class degree, doing a MSc in clinical neuroscience, and probs end up doing a PhD or medical degree. Know of quite a few others too. (not trying to blow my own horn, but just to illustrate).

Just annoys me so much when people write others off as a lost cause, especially when it is just because they are doing a certain type of course.

Damn mate, that's highly impressive! The only reason I didn't look into BTEC's is because I've applied for Medicine. Howeverrrr, people in my college are always stressing about the amount of coursework they have to do so I'm aware BTEC's aren't a cop-out like the majority of individuals on this thread make it out to be.
Damn mate, that's highly impressive! The only reason I didn't look into BTEC's is because I've applied for Medicine. Howeverrrr, people in my college are always stressing about the amount of coursework they have to do so I'm aware BTEC's aren't a cop-out like the majority of individuals on this thread make it out to be.

BTEC's almost killed me if I'm honest. The amount of coursework was very high, and if you missed or did badly on just one, it brought down the mark of about 4 others that were included in that module. Was easy to get the easier marks and almost impossible to fail the course, but to do consistently well was pretty tough
Original post by RamdomGoat77
Woah woah Woah ! This Thread is getting out of hand ! BTECS Aren't The Same as 3 A-Levels , I'm Surprised that BTEC Students can even made a thread let alone Read !!!!! Wait . Hold on I might get beaten up some " Hard " BTEC Kid if I carry on !!

You're preaching to the choir.
BTEC's almost killed me if I'm honest. The amount of coursework was very high, and if you missed or did badly on just one, it brought down the mark of about 4 others that were included in that module. Was easy to get the easier marks and almost impossible to fail the course, but to do consistently well was pretty tough

BTECs almost killed you. I don't believe you. You're full of ****.
I think we all need to accept the fact that:
1. It doesn’t matter wether you do A-Levels or BTECs or any other course as long as you’re HAPPY
2. It doesn’t matter what uni you go to as long as you’re HAPPY

Merry Christmas! :candycane:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending