Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Maths and Further Maths A level watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Everyone does further maths in a year...thats just how it's done. Unless you specifically choose not to.

ReputationRep:
    You will have to study the Maths course before you can begin studying the further maths course. Further Maths is probably one of the hardest A-Levels you can do because you WILL need to know the A-Level Maths course before you can start it.

I did Further Maths and Maths and it's got me a place to study Architecture at Portsmouth University - not limited to just mathematical course

ReputationRep:
    maths and further maths is cherished by all unis for science subjects..its great combination and demonstrates ur ability in maths...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    i say go for it unless you decide to do medicine. most, if not all medical schools do not consider maths and f.maths as 2 separate subjects.
    Are you totally sure about this? Three people from my school hold 4 offers for medicine and have FM as part of their offer. They are doing 4 A Levels in total, but their offer is something like "A in chemistry, and AB from two of biology, maths, FM" which would mean the FM is counted as a separate subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Are you totally sure about this? Three people from my school hold 4 offers for medicine and have FM as part of their offer. They are doing 4 A Levels in total, but their offer is something like "A in chemistry, and AB from two of biology, maths, FM" which would mean the FM is counted as a separate subject.
    really?? i'm quite surprised at their offers. i'm pretty sure about it. i have two offers to study medicine. one is "AAB from physics, chemistry and f maths"...no mention of maths...and the other is "BB from physics and chemistry and B is AS biology"...no mention of maths or further maths...

from the GKT prospectus:
    Chemistry and Biology, at least one at A level. If offered at AS level only, must be grade B. If Maths and Further Maths is offered, only one will be counted. GCSE requirement: grade B at English and Maths, if not offered at A/AS level.
    perhaps things have changed... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I studied 3 A levels in maths and i thought that it was brilliant. If you can handle single maths you could handle triple. I would advise you to take all 3 if you can!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_1000)
    I studied 3 A levels in maths and i thought that it was brilliant. If you can handle single maths you could handle triple. I would advise you to take all 3 if you can!
    I wouldn't unless you REALLY love Maths. With a passion. More than Homer loves Duff. And that ain't possible...

ReputationRep:
    woah!! u must be a maths god or something!! :eek:
    i could handle maths quite well but further maths was quite a struggle towards to end...

ReputationRep:
    why bother?

ReputationRep:
    Triple maths?? i thought that was some sort of urban myth!!! how do you do that?!!? (or do you do like math, further math, and applyed math??)

personnaly the idea of doing 12 math moduals in one year makes me want to jump off a bridge (how ever much time i had to sudy them!!).. but hey thats me.. found a-level math harder than Further math though (thought it was quite a slap in the face after GCSE)

ReputationRep:
    well from what i know, we're doing P1,2,S1,D1 and M1 this november, then for january it'll be something like S2,M2 and D2 and then for June i think we're doing P3,4,5 and 6 which doesnt seem too bad- our timetable (i fink) is about 5 and a half hours or maths a day (including private study), but from the way we are doing it- we will have covered A Level Maths before A Level Further Maths. Afterall- it is only the 4,5 and 6 Units that are Further

ReputationRep:
    I have done further maths and it was acceptable as part of my medicine offer from newcastle but not from leeds. You really do have to be devoted to maths to do it and be very flexible when dealing with the concepts. Some of the problems in pure 5,6 and mechanics 4 can take a long time to solve and the homework you will have to do will take an age. However in the end its a great qualification to have, even though I will never use it again.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.