How many of you LGBT etc. people would say you are part of the ''LGBT'' community. Watch

Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Genuinely curious about this for 2 reasons;

1) Do you think just being LGBT etc. makes you part of this so-called community or do you think that you need to actively promote/partake in events and stuff to be in this community.
2) Do you yourself ever feel like you are part of a 'LGBT' community.

I've always found the concept of a LGBT community rather..weird.. I understand the idea behind it, but if anyone would ever ask me do I identify as part of the LGBT community I would say no.

I don't see the need to group myself with a bunch of other people and don't see sexuality as a remotely defining part of my life at all. I also find it odd that a community of people supposedly can feel that they can speak on behalf of all LGBT etc. people sometimes, which seems a little...wrong.

But yeah just curious as the concept always baffles me.
jkdw
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well its a community because we are majorly a minority group / groups of individuals. Making it a larger community means that we have something large we can fight for and allows some to feel less lonely when they can relate to others in the LGBTQ+ community. I think the presence / feeling of a community is on a much grander scale in cities especially during pride / Mardi Gras etc. I guess the concept is baffling to younger generations because we don't feel the oppression / subjection of those who have come before us and we can have friends who are allies and can discuss openly about stuff (in a lot of places at least). It's also difficult if for someone is in like a small town and their school has like 3 or 4 queer kids total and that sense of community doesn't really exist there. idk
Alder0
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No I don't see the need label myself and group myself based on my sexuality at all, idc to be honest. I think it is rather cringey to be fair. But that's my personal opinion.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moved to Society :pride:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (500)
59.81%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.14%
No- I want it (237)
28.35%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.7%

Watched Threads