The Student Room Group

Really anxious for meal with boyfriend and family!

I get mild anxiety now (used to be a LOT worse) but managing at the moment, anyway. I have a phobia of sick and eating around other people makes me so so so anxious, it's not too bad if it's relaxed kinda TV dinner type stuff, but he's parents are really formal, really religious and I find them intimidating and I struggle to eat around them :/ I have times where I'm fine, but I've got 2 big meals coming up with them, and I'm really worried I'm going to have a panic attack or something :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pop 80mg of beta blockers
Parents tend to misunderstand panic attacks, so as long as your boyfriend is understanding and loving he'll make sure you're as fine as possible :smile:
You could ask a therapist or a spouse, anyone who would help you feel safe. Fortunately, overcoming social anxiety is possible and isn’t difficult. In most cases, the best solutions to overcoming this phobia is social skills training, and self help therapy, rather than drugs which is not able to produce permanent changes in your brain.
1. Control Your Reaction to Fear - One of the biggest problems with any type of anxiety disorder is the reactions it causes in our bodies. Increased heart rate, a racing mind, sweating, shakiness, and other reactions can result from our fears. Overcoming these reactions is as simple as learning relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation, and self hypnosis.

2. Prepare Yourself Mentally - Rather than let your fear of embarrassment or humiliation overwhelm you in social settings, role play a few scenairos in advamce to make sure you are well prepared for any challenging situations. If you are prepared for things that can go wrong and you know what to do and say in those awkward moments, you will have the confidence to keep calm and handle the situation well.

3. Face Your Fears - Sometimes, our social fears does not stem from a lack of social skills, but rather from a sense of insecurity and a lack of esteem. By stepping outside your comfort zone and placing yourself in uncomfortable situations such as speaking in front of your peers or complimenting someone, and doing it repeatly, the easier it becomes. Soon you will soon realize that there is actually nothing to fear from most people and you may even enjoy and laugh about it.

4. Get Involve Socially - Take an assertiveness class, volunteer for a event that keeps you in a social setting, and work to build relationships with people you normally wouldn’t. Alternatively, join a local or online support group and talk with other like minded individuals with the same problem and hear their struggles and triumphs. This will give you the confidence you need to help break your self imposed barrier of fear.

5. Positive Visualization And Affirmation - The way you think strongly influences the way you feel. The realization that only you can control how you think, and how those thoughts control you, is an important step in overcoming social anxiety. When those thoughts, such as “I’m going to fail” or “they will make fun of me” begin making their way into your mind, challenge those negativity and replace them with more realistic, calmer thoughts. Tell yourself that you are capable, confident, and wonderful to combat those negative thoughts. Positive visualization and affirmation are helpful in motivating you along the road to curing yourself of this problem and improving your self worth.

- COPY AND PASTED.
Original post by shawn_o1
Parents tend to misunderstand panic attacks, so as long as your boyfriend is understanding and loving he'll make sure you're as fine as possible :smile:

His parents are so so so lovely, just sometimes, it's not even always, when I'm eating I don't swallow fully or something and I panic and then my throat feels tight and I just struggle to eat :/ and then because I panic my stomach goes tense and it makes me feel worse. Hate it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Pop 80mg of beta blockers

I feel falling asleep at the dinner table may be worse :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by PrincessZara
You could ask a therapist or a spouse, anyone who would help you feel safe. Fortunately, overcoming social anxiety is possible and isn’t difficult. In most cases, the best solutions to overcoming this phobia is social skills training, and self help therapy, rather than drugs which is not able to produce permanent changes in your brain.
1. Control Your Reaction to Fear - One of the biggest problems with any type of anxiety disorder is the reactions it causes in our bodies. Increased heart rate, a racing mind, sweating, shakiness, and other reactions can result from our fears. Overcoming these reactions is as simple as learning relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation, and self hypnosis.

2. Prepare Yourself Mentally - Rather than let your fear of embarrassment or humiliation overwhelm you in social settings, role play a few scenairos in advamce to make sure you are well prepared for any challenging situations. If you are prepared for things that can go wrong and you know what to do and say in those awkward moments, you will have the confidence to keep calm and handle the situation well.

3. Face Your Fears - Sometimes, our social fears does not stem from a lack of social skills, but rather from a sense of insecurity and a lack of esteem. By stepping outside your comfort zone and placing yourself in uncomfortable situations such as speaking in front of your peers or complimenting someone, and doing it repeatly, the easier it becomes. Soon you will soon realize that there is actually nothing to fear from most people and you may even enjoy and laugh about it.

4. Get Involve Socially - Take an assertiveness class, volunteer for a event that keeps you in a social setting, and work to build relationships with people you normally wouldn’t. Alternatively, join a local or online support group and talk with other like minded individuals with the same problem and hear their struggles and triumphs. This will give you the confidence you need to help break your self imposed barrier of fear.

5. Positive Visualization And Affirmation - The way you think strongly influences the way you feel. The realization that only you can control how you think, and how those thoughts control you, is an important step in overcoming social anxiety. When those thoughts, such as “I’m going to fail” or “they will make fun of me” begin making their way into your mind, challenge those negativity and replace them with more realistic, calmer thoughts. Tell yourself that you are capable, confident, and wonderful to combat those negative thoughts. Positive visualization and affirmation are helpful in motivating you along the road to curing yourself of this problem and improving your self worth.

- COPY AND PASTED.

mmm Pasta
Original post by PrincessZara

- COPY AND PASTED.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdorableDrip

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile: you wont fall asleep. If you have not tried beta blockers for your anxiety such as panic attacks, you should!
Original post by Betelgeuse-
:smile: you wont fall asleep. If you have not tried beta blockers for your anxiety such as panic attacks, you should!

I take diazepam when it's really bad, but then I go really weird...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I take diazepam when it's really bad, but then I go really weird...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah beta blockers dont have any effect like that. They simply suppress your heart rate / block adrenaline glands.

I find them brilliant for panic attacks / stressful situations

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl: i am eating for Xmas holiday with my gf's folks, conservative middle classed Punjabis and I am a bit nervo but I don't even have panic attacks so I can't help you there. But what I tell myself is, I'm sure it won't turn into Meet the Parents :biggrin: just go in....and eat.
Original post by Mr.Malice
:rofl: i am eating for Xmas holiday with my gf's folks, conservative middle classed Punjabis and I am a bit nervo but I don't even have panic attacks so I can't help you there. But what I tell myself is, I'm sure it won't turn into Meet the Parents :biggrin: just go in....and eat.

I've had lunch with them before and it's not too bad but that's because my bf can tell when I'm getting a bit stressed so he's like come on let's go do something, but dinner is a bit longer and a bit more formal :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had lunch with them before and it's not too bad but that's because my bf can tell when I'm getting a bit stressed so he's like come on let's go do something, but dinner is a bit longer and a bit more formal :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

just go with the flow. they'll expect u to be a bit nervous but trust, a panic attack will make them feel strange, don't you think.
Original post by Mr.Malice
just go with the flow. they'll expect u to be a bit nervous but trust, a panic attack will make them feel strange, don't you think.

Obviously, that's why I don't want it to happen :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest