Critics views! AQA A A-level english coursework help

Watch
cleggynick
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm working on my coursework at the moment and my question looks at feminism and the oppression of women in the texts: Othello, the great gatsby and the colour purple. I feel like this is a stupid question but my teacher has told me to include critics views in my coursework but I dont have a clue where to find them - does he mean individual academics who may have written papers, or the criticisms of marxists, feminists, ect in general? I have tried to use google scholar to find something but didn't have much luck.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cleggynick)
I'm working on my coursework at the moment and my question looks at feminism and the oppression of women in the texts: Othello, the great gatsby and the colour purple. I feel like this is a stupid question but my teacher has told me to include critics views in my coursework but I dont have a clue where to find them - does he mean individual academics who may have written papers, or the criticisms of marxists, feminists, ect in general? I have tried to use google scholar to find something but didn't have much luck.
She means just critic views like what other author's, academics, scholars say about the texts. For example, A.C. Bradley is a good academic who writes a lot about Shakespeare and his tragedies. Marxist, feminist are all critical theory.

Just stick to critical views and not critical theory.
crashMATHS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cleggynick)
Yeah, you want to embed ideas about what other people (critics) have said about the texts. What has another person said about the women in The Great Gatsby, for instance? I read one amazing critic that absolutely slaughtered the character of Daisy for her recklessness, but then another who claimed that she herself is a "beautiful little fool".

You should read academic papers (even if they appear daunting), news articles and so on, gather any interesting comments that have been made and then try to use them to support any points you would like to make. They can help you when you're counter arguing the alternative argument or just help you with your evaluation.

I italicised support, because you shouldn't really (unless you can make strong headway) use critics to make any points within your essay. Instead, you want to use them to support your own, to help add an extra dimension to your argument.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (11)
7.33%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (25)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (25)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (42)
28%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (26)
17.33%

Watched Threads