The Student Room Group

Possible to get in shape without 'bulking'??

So my outcome/goal is to get in shape. Without sounding vein, though nearly every male wants this, is to get muscles/definition? Not body building muscles, but a nice even toned body.

Started gym back in August. Quite a small fella aswell! Someone who works there made me a routine workout (one day leg, 1 day biceps/shoulder, other day chest). Did that for a few months then had it changed a bit, now its 4 days a week, leg, chest, back, bicep). However I have not been 'bulking'. my wrists are a bit weak/thin so its difficult to "increase weights" each week. There is only so much I can do, pretty much with nearly all gym workouts/weights, you use your arms/wrists. Its a bit difficult for me to increase.

I think I have improved a bit, gained some muscle but is there a point in carrying on if I am not 'bulking'? I just cant come round to doing it, having to buy the food, cook it, bring it into uni. My days are broken up, some days I am free morning, busy afternoon, vice versa so Its difficult to be eating 4-6 meals a day when at certain times I am at uni. Also, cant I just do the easy 'bulking' of just cooking grilled chicked/fish and vegetables? Forget the whole, change milk, butter, nuts, this and that etc?? What can I do to improve? Tips!?
Reply 1
If you want to gain muscle you have to gain weight, this is bulking. If you want to gain muscle but won't bulk then you are wasting your time.

But to do it you don't need to eat 4-6 meals, it's about how much you eat in total throughout the day. You do need to eat some fats for health reasons but you could technically bulk eating nothing but veg. What exact foods you eat doesn't hugely matter so long as macros are within reason.

You have a bicep day? Your routine is in serious need of attention. Also no clue what skinny wrists have to do with anything
You can get away with eating at maintenance for the first 6-12 months of lifting which would mean gaining muscle without gaining fat, stops working after a while though and you need a surplus which means gradual fat gain.
Original post by Mumford & Dragons
,,, Without sounding vein...
ahahahaha nice one!
Original post by BKS
If you want to gain muscle you have to gain weight, this is bulking. If you want to gain muscle but won't bulk then you are wasting your time.

But to do it you don't need to eat 4-6 meals, it's about how much you eat in total throughout the day. You do need to eat some fats for health reasons but you could technically bulk eating nothing but veg. What exact foods you eat doesn't hugely matter so long as macros are within reason.

You have a bicep day? Your routine is in serious need of attention. Also no clue what skinny wrists have to do with anything

Ah I see. I guess I dont need to make bulking so difficult. Just eat like normal, breakfast of porridge/brown toast, then add in meals of chicken/fish and vegetables (protein) throughout the day. I would still have other things like fruits and also other meals apart from chicken all day.

Well the 4 days are :Legs, Back, Arms, and Chest. Its something I want, but I dont think I want it BAD. Like you said, without bulking there is really no point in going gym and using the weights on their own really.
Original post by Dancing Samurai
ahahahaha nice one!

"... Without sounding vein, though nearly every male wants this...".
Original post by WoodyMKC
You can get away with eating at maintenance for the first 6-12 months of lifting which would mean gaining muscle without gaining fat, stops working after a while though and you need a surplus which means gradual fat gain.

#Preach :adore:
Original post by Mumford & Dragons
"... Without sounding vein, though nearly every male wants this...".
Oh, the pun wasn't intentional then? :frown:You mean vain xD
Original post by Dancing Samurai
Oh, the pun wasn't intentional then? :frown:You mean vain xD

The disappointment is real.
Reply 9
I thought a woman wrote OP for a second there.

Don't worry you're not going to turn into Mr Universe after 2 reps of 5kg bicep curls. Just try to bulk until you reach the muscle mass you want, then stop. You're not in any risk of going overboard, muscle doesn't build that fast.
Reply 10
Just lean bulk, i went from around 57kg (skinny af) to 72kg (ripped) in a year and a bit.

Quick Reply