The Student Room Group

Is it rude to diss someones music taste?

Heres the situation... me and my friend decided to write a list of our favourite music to give to each other so we could listen to new things. Her list to me was a lot of stuff I wouldn't usually listen to and didn't like that much but I lied and said it was pretty cool and I'd like to listen to more of that sort of music as it's catchy and I think I could get to like it even more. She said about mine that she hates all that sort of music and that was it really. Anyway, she wants me to recommend more stuff and I've been put off the whole thing now because I guess I got a little offended! Am i being stupid or would you feel the same?
I wouldn't recommend her any more music.
Tbh I diss my friends all the time because they listen to One Direction..
Reply 3
Original post by kellyannna
Heres the situation... me and my friend decided to write a list of our favourite music to give to each other so we could listen to new things. Her list to me was a lot of stuff I wouldn't usually listen to and didn't like that much but I lied and said it was pretty cool and I'd like to listen to more of that sort of music as it's catchy and I think I could get to like it even more. She said about mine that she hates all that sort of music and that was it really. Anyway, she wants me to recommend more stuff and I've been put off the whole thing now because I guess I got a little offended! Am i being stupid or would you feel the same?

Each to their own. I'd only 'diss' as far as playful banter like if my good mate liked Justin Bieber and I'd just say "didn't know you liked female singers". But I wouldn't be like, "it's a crap music taste and you should feel bad about yourself".

I always suggest new songs to my friend! We share similar music tastes and if he doesn't like something he'll just say "it's not for me" and I'd say the same if he suggested something I didn't lke.t
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Tbh I diss my friends all the time because they listen to One Direction..

That's an exception, One Direction are the epitome of all things evil.
Original post by Mayhem™
That's an exception, One Direction are the epitome of all things evil.

*high five
So what was the music you gave her?
Reply 7
well yeah kinda, I would get offended, but then again I find that my best friend just copies everything I listen to and I admit I partially do the same but not to the sort of, uhhh extent that she does. i feel like, especially for girls, anything that they listen to, they can be called by some random troller as a poser and not just bc they genuinely like that specific artist/genre.
Reply 8
Original post by monk1324
So what was the music you gave her?

Mostly alternative rock, I limited it all to newer music. It was all pretty unoffensive I think.
Reply 9
I'd personally say it's better to just be open minded with music, i'm pretty upset that there's so many kinds, and so many songs which I haven't listened to or heard of ahah
Reply 10
Yeah I guess, I tried to get it a bit mixed though so she'd like something haha!
Original post by kellyannna

Is it rude to diss someones music taste? Yes.

Is it rude to admit you dont like something someone else likes? No (Otherwise I might end up admitting I like it up the arse rather a lot, which I dont).
As a rule, I think that dissing all (almost most) things is rude.

So don't do it.
It's fine to not like certain music, but being rude about something that someone enjoys isn't okay.
My friend was like "one direction is awful" so then I replied with "are they really awful or do you just have a different music preference?" Lol she was quiet afterwards.
It depends how you say it. I know my dad doesn't like my taste in music (he says it's too soothing) and I hate his. (it's the complete opposite of what I like)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending