PJFrancis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Can anyone share some light on how they managed to fund there living expenses whilst on a vet med course? I am worried that i will not have enough time (if accepted) to earn enough to cover food, and living etc. That is even with top maintenance loan and bursary and staying in student accommodation for the first year. Anyone got any tips and hints would be great. Not sure of the time restraints the course will have, id assume it would be pretty full on so not sure if i could work in the evenings.
Any help would be great.
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's tough, I will admit. I just about get by, I just have to be super frugal. Nothing much more to it unfortunately. You'll be surprised how the £s add up when you do little things to save money each day.

I wouldn't completely write off the idea of working while studying. I live with six other vets and four of us have jobs. There are opportunities available that fit in with student timetables. With some companies (At Your Service, Brightsparks etc) you're able to sign up to do as many/few shifts as you want, which makes it really flexible. You could also become a Student Ambassador at your university, and get paid to work at open days/careers fairs etc. Also look into to tutoring (GCSE or A Level), which pays quite well for the hours that you put in.

Most universities are keen to ensure that finance isn't a reason that people choose not to apply, and offer a variety of bursaries. There are also hardship funds available if you're really struggling, although these shouldn't really be relied upon. Perhaps look into the sort of financial aid each university can offer when deciding where to apply.
PJFrancis
Rep:
?
Ok brilliant thanks, I am a qualified personal trainer so was hoping to do some sessions to get some money in short amounts of time but depends on the opportunities there are to advertise and gain clients.

There is no way i would turn down the RVC if they offer me a place after the interview i had the other week, but since then have ben looking at student accommodation and money etc and was starting to wonder if i would survive. How have you found it finding new accommodation after the first year, is it much more than the student accommodation of the first year?

Where are you studying?
Little Tail Chaser
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PJFrancis)
Ok brilliant thanks, I am a qualified personal trainer so was hoping to do some sessions to get some money in short amounts of time but depends on the opportunities there are to advertise and gain clients.

There is no way i would turn down the RVC if they offer me a place after the interview i had the other week, but since then have ben looking at student accommodation and money etc and was starting to wonder if i would survive. How have you found it finding new accommodation after the first year, is it much more than the student accommodation of the first year?

Where are you studying?
I'm at the RVC Feel free to ask any questions you have about studying there.

Oh that's cool. As I'm sure you're aware there's a gym on campus so might find at least a couple of clients if you just advertised on Facebook or something :dontknow:

I haven't looked too much into accommodation for next year, but what my flatmates and I have found while browsing generally looks to be slightly more expensive than what we have currently, however we'll spend far less on transport so we easily make that money back.
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can anyone share some light on how they managed to fund there living expenses whilst on a vet med course? I am worried that i will not have enough time (if accepted) to earn enough to cover food, and living etc. That is even with top maintenance loan and bursary and staying in student accommodation for the first year. Anyone got any tips and hints would be great. Not sure of the time restraints the course will have, id assume it would be pretty full on so not sure if i could work in the evenings.
Any help would be great.
Tail Chaser has answered your questions very well.

Just wanted to add that I've personally done more work during the vacation times - that is another possibility. Generally you have a lot to do EMS (placement) wise during the uni vacation periods, but you will still have a number of weeks off! But it can be difficult because you will find yourself often relying on zero hour style contracts which offers great flexibility but no guarantee of work either.

Certainly possible to work during term time BUT you must learn to be efficient with your time and study smartly. As well as cutting back on other things.

Also, as a student you can apply for a student bank account- were you can get a 0% overdraft which you only pay back a year after graduating. Very useful as a financial buffer!
Little Tail Chaser
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Great addition from Silverstar

Just to follow on further, some EMS placements may be able to offer payment, especially if you have prior experience in a certain area. Quite a few people are able to earn some pocket money during lambing, for example. Again, you shouldn't rely upon this and it's really more token payment than an actual wage, but it can help to offset travel expenses at least.

Definitely look into a getting a student account. The free overdraft is usually between £500-£1000 which really helps with accommodation deposits! Many banks also offer an incentive to sign up with them (for example a railcard or Amazon voucher), although if you have any savings look into the value of the gift compared to what you'd earn in interest at different banks.
PJFrancis
Rep:
?
Yeah will def be looking to get a student overdraft and account. Just got every possible finger and toe crossed for an acceptance letter from RVC for vet med. I have 3 unconditional offers but they are for zoology, vet physio and wild animal biology (RVC), but my 2nd choices are really all based on the idea of applying for vet med as a postgrad but then got an interview out the blue and now I am so close I want to get on the vet med as an undergrad. So this thread is a little presumptuous but after the interview process at RVC who knows where you stand it is so hard to tell as it all depends on what they think of you and your personality really. Pretty much what Little Tail Chaser had been saying in earlier posts about the interview process. I would agree very hard to study for it as really it is about you.

However completely off topic of this thread. So the gym at the RVC is that free for students? and is that just RVC students or is that students of London Uni?

What jobs have you both got? I think I will def try and get some personal training clients and plan to come back home at weekends so can keep the class I have going here which will help. I was unable to go to the open day of the vet med so never saw a timetable to get an idea of the contact time, but i assumed it would be busy.

SilverstarDJ where are you studying and are you both in the first year of your course currently?
Little Tail Chaser
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
However completely off topic of this thread. So the gym at the RVC is that free for students? and is that just RVC students or is that students of London Uni?
The gyms at the RVC is totally free yeah. There's two small ones in Camden and I think a bigger one at Hawkshead, but they're developing Hawkshead anyway and starting loads of building work soon including more sports facilities.

There's a bigger gym with a pool at Student Central (near Euston) which all University of London students can use, but you have to pay for it.

What jobs have you both got? I think I will def try and get some personal training clients and plan to come back home at weekends so can keep the class I have going here which will help. I was unable to go to the open day of the vet med so never saw a timetable to get an idea of the contact time, but i assumed it would be busy.
I'm a student ambassador and will be signing up to a couple of staffing companies soon.

As far as contact time goes, I reckon I have around 18 hours per week of contact time. I suspect that will increase in subsequent years though.

Best of luck, I really hope RVC give you a place!
ouchthathurts
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's plenty of scope to earn money while down at RVC, particuarly when you're based in Camden. Student ambassador, brightsparks, film/tv extras, tutoring, quite a few people in my year did bar work, I used to babysit a fair amount and through that got contacts for doing a bit of DIY for them etc.

Being frugal as well helps a lot, I used to cook up big meals every few weekends and have them frozen so if ever I was short on time I wouldn't be tempted to go buy something convinient but expensive. Taking coffee in with you rather than buying one each day from the cafe.

Course contact time is pretty low and hardly any is compulsory up until the 4th/5th years when it's properly full time- some weeks can be over 80 hours. Having said that the onus is on you to read around your subjects and make sure you know and understand what's going on which does mean putting a lot of hours in. At the end of the day it's intended to be a full time course and if you only attend the contact teaching and put minimal work in beyond that then evenutally it will come back to bite you in the end. I now teach final years at the RVC as part of my post-grad stuff and you can tell which ones put the effort in during their first couple of years and which ones didn't. It's verging on ridiculous how easy it is to get through RVC exams with minimal understanding, which is nice at the time but really screws you up a bit in later years.

Anyway, good luck getting in. When was your interview?
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
all based on the idea of applying for vet med as a postgrad
You are worried about finances already so I am a bit worried that you are considering post grad vet med - doing vet med as a postgrad is even more expensive as you DON'T get a tuition fee loan. Tuition fees vary from £9k to £20+k a year, which will need paying up front from your own pocket. It's not an easier route either. Just something to bear in mind!

Like yourself, I have skills I can sell which earns me some money (I'm a webdesigner, graphics designer and artist). Any skills that you can sell is very valuable for sure.

My main summer/Easter job has been working in a cattery (minimum wage but easy work). I have also done a bit of pet minding for neighbours too for a bit of cash.

During uni I have worked for a pet food company as well as a pharmaceutical company as a student rep (well paid for the amount of work I needed to do but not much money overall - of course every little helps). I have also been a guide on uni open days at the weekends.

SilverstarDJ where are you studying and are you both in the first year of your course currently?
I'm in my final year of vet med at Liverpool.

I found writing down my outgoings on a piece of paper was a really useful money management tool. It allowed me to see where I could cut back on money, and where I could afford to spend more. Most importantly it made me more aware of the cost of things and more cautious about spending!! 'Unbranded' food items are a good money saver. Pre drinks will always make going out cheaper etc. Phoning up companies you have contracts with e.g. mobile provider to make sure you are getting a good deal

When my family asks me what to buy me for Christmas/birthdays I will normally ask for something that is useful for my degree -- stationary, book vouchers, wellies, uni equipment etc. which helps too.
ouchthathurts
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
The gyms at the RVC is totally free yeah. There's two small ones in Camden and I think a bigger one at Hawkshead, but they're developing Hawkshead anyway and starting loads of building work soon including more sports facilities.

There's a bigger gym with a pool at Student Central (near Euston) which all University of London students can use, but you have to pay for it.

I'm a student ambassador and will be signing up to a couple of staffing companies soon.

As far as contact time goes, I reckon I have around 18 hours per week of contact time. I suspect that will increase in subsequent years though.

Best of luck, I really hope RVC give you a place!
LTC Just replying to your message, you need to clear some space in your inbox if you want it
Little Tail Chaser
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ouchthathurts)
LTC Just replying to your message, you need to clear some space in your inbox if you want it
Ugh that's always happening Thanks so much for letting me know, I've had a clear out now it should be able to go through
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (686)
33.89%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (860)
42.49%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (387)
19.12%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise