Meggzxox
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am in year 8 and thinking about whether to take GCSE PE as an option. I enjoy participating in sports like netball and badminton and play at a high level, however i hate things like Gymnastics and dance. Im not very good a cross country either. So i was wondering, when you take PE as a GCSE, do you pick which sports you take part in or does your school choose and how many do you do? Also, is the theory side difficult and would you recommend doing this as GCSE? Please answer ASAP as ive got to choose in a weeks time. Thanks
_chloeematt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hiya, I'm in year 11 and have been taking PE for 3 years. It really depends on your school. At the end of GCSE you take your top 4 sports - score wise. Netball is a really easy 10 and Badminton is okay if you know the stuff. I would say depending on the school/class then you may have to do Gymnastics/dance but only for a few weeks but literally just get on with it. Many other people will be in the same boat. My main advice would be consider the sports that are easy to get a 10 in - Netball is one of them. Even if you don't like the sport it doesn't mean that you have to continue it. I don't particularly like table tennis but it's good to score on.

Need any more advice feel free to ask 😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Prince_fancybum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You do 4 sports of your choosing, if you do a sport that can't be performed in school you have to film it and they assess the film
Meggzxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by _chloeematt)
Hiya, I'm in year 11 and have been taking PE for 3 years. It really depends on your school. At the end of GCSE you take your top 4 sports - score wise. Netball is a really easy 10 and Badminton is okay if you know the stuff. I would say depending on the school/class then you may have to do Gymnastics/dance but only for a few weeks but literally just get on with it. Many other people will be in the same boat. My main advice would be consider the sports that are easy to get a 10 in - Netball is one of them. Even if you don't like the sport it doesn't mean that you have to continue it. I don't particularly like table tennis but it's good to score on.

Need any more advice feel free to ask 😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, do you know whether you can take cricket or rounders as well. Which sports do you recommend doing? Thankyou
_chloeematt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Meggzxox)
Thanks, do you know whether you can take cricket or rounders as well. Which sports do you recommend doing? Thankyou
Cricket I'm not sure about as we don't do it - but rounders is relatively easy to do as you have to show you can hit the ball far - while showing tactical awareness (so like hitting into where there are gaps in the fielding). Personally i would defo do netball - personally I play at club/senior level (even tho I'm still a junior) and represent my borough in london so it was auper easy to grab a 10 in that. Umm if you can swim I would suggest personal survival (if you want to PM about any of this in more detail feel free) umm badminton is okay and so is table tennis but you can do other sports such as basketball but it is difficult I don't know what else...

Anything else??

Posted from TSR Mobile
hin2000
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey! I'm currently in year 11 and have been doing GCSE PE for almost 2 years. I personally love sports and am lucky enough to have a good teacher which has really helped. However, i don't like every single sport, but what I did, and what is the best thing to do if you do choose the subject is just go get on with it, try your best and put as much effort into becoming better at the sport during the lesson and in your own time. It really depends on your school as well, because if you do not have very good facilities, or a very good teacher, you may not feel up for it as much (you learn about this in the theory lessons it's not that difficult). How you do in the theory aspect of the subject is how logically you think, for me at least. There is, of course, the biology part of it like the human body, bones and muscles, bodily functions and so on, but it isn't too hard, and would be a lot easier if you pay attention and revise. Overall I would recommend the subject if you do like sports, but at the end of the day, you shouldn't put too much thought into your options you take at GCSE level, because it won't make as much of an impact on your life as you options later on in life, such as A levels or degrees. What we were advised to do at my school when we were picking our options, is to maybe choose an option which isn't academic based, to ease the stress a bit and give us periods during the day where it isn't as much hard work, but something you enjoy as well! Hope this helped!
twhiddy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am in year 8 and thinking about whether to take GCSE PE as an option. I enjoy participating in sports like netball and badminton and play at a high level, however i hate things like Gymnastics and dance. Im not very good a cross country either. So i was wondering, when you take PE as a GCSE, do you pick which sports you take part in or does your school choose and how many do you do? Also, is the theory side difficult and would you recommend doing this as GCSE? Please answer ASAP as ive got to choose in a weeks time. Thanks
I'm currently doing GCSE P.E and to be honest all you need to worry about is theory. The main worry for our teachers were students who couldn't handle learning facts like the test used for Cardiovascular Endurance. I'd advise you at least know 4 sports that you are good at, and have at least one that you are doing outside of school. My advice would be to know if you can handle the theory..I dont know about your school but 60% of the course is theory and 40% is physical work. Hope this helped
martinthom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by twhiddy)
I'm currently doing GCSE P.E and to be honest all you need to worry about is theory. The main worry for our teachers were students who couldn't handle learning facts like the test used for Cardiovascular Endurance. I'd advise you at least know 4 sports that you are good at, and have at least one that you are doing outside of school. My advice would be to know if you can handle the theory..I dont know about your school but 60% of the course is theory and 40% is physical work. Hope this helped
I did GCSE PE and I agree it is the theory that is the tough bit!

We did some dance and gymnastics, didn't like it and not very good at it but you just have to get on with it!!
twhiddy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by martinthom)
I did GCSE PE and I agree it is the theory that is the tough bit!

We did some dance and gymnastics, didn't like it and not very good at it but you just have to get on with it!!
Agreed! The theory is what I've worked on and I've achieved an A in mocks, I haven't really given physical lessons much thought for a while now!
Meggzxox
Rep:
?
Thankyou for all of the replies. These have really helped and i think that im now going to take this subject as an option
xbeckkie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You can choose your sport, one individual and one team sport. I’m currently third year in a sport uni so curriculum might have changed since I did GCSE sport. But I did gymnastics and 3 styles of dance. I was allowed to choose with what my best sports were to allow me to receive the best possible mark for myself, which was an A* in the end x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (18)
32.73%
No (37)
67.27%

Watched Threads