Verbal reasoning questions.

Watch this thread
Mohit_C
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Good evening all,

Was looking for some help on the following questions:

Economic research has identified a trend exhibited by one in six Britons of hiding cash in their homes instread of investing it. This is termed the 'Biscuit Tin Economy'. It is estimated that £3.5 billion is currently hidden, sometimes in obscure places, such as under mattresses or in fridges, in homes across the country. Reasons for this are varied, for example 6% are concealing it from their partners, and 4% believe their money to be safer at home than in a bank. Researchers maintain that these actions demonstrate economic folly, and that, as a result, Britons are sacrificing up to £174 million in interest each year. This 'Biscuit Tin Economy' is betraying those who trust in it, as it renders their hidden money both unproductive and potentially unsafe, whereas it could be profitably invested in a stocks or high-interest savings plan, for example.

Q1) Money is safer when invested in a bank than it is when stored at home.
I reckon this is "Cannot Say" as the key word in my opinion is "potentially", i.e. it is not definitely unsafe

The early chaos of the home computing industry in the USA, where it developed, probably had a more detrimental effect in Europe than it did in the States. All the innovators in the field were companies which were too small to cope with or understand foreign sales. As a result all US companies sold exclusively through European distributors, some of which were only interested in making maximum profits in a minimum amount of time. Home computing in Europe got off to a slow start because greedy distributors worked through incompetent suppliers, none of which had any real interest in the long term future of the technology.

Q2) Incompetent suppliers were one of the reasons for the slow development of home computing in Europe.
I would say "False" as it wasn't "one" of the reason, rather "the" reason.

Q3) None of the American innovators in the field were able to deal adequately with foreign sales.
I’m between “Cannot Say” and “True”; “True” because the passage mentions “all the innovators” so one could assume that whether they were American, Indian, Russian doesn’t matter. Another take could be that “all” doesn’t specify which nationality the innovators were so, “Cannot Say” may be more appropriate. I’m leaning more towards “Cannot Say” than “True”.

Despite decreases in the miles travelled by the average cyclist in recent years, increase in bicycle sales over the last 5 years have meant a corresponding increasing in cycle accidents. This increase is especially marked amongst teenagers and young children. Last year, 45% of all casualties were under 14 and another 20% under 20 years. The provisional figures for this year shows some improvement, but the fact remains that the number of cyclists of all ages injured each year is unacceptably high.

Q4) The majority of cycle casualties last year involved people under 20 years of age.
I would say this is “True” as if we add the percentages 45% and 20%, it equals 65% which is a majority. The “another 20% under 20 years” means that they will also be under 14 years.

Q5) Fewer adults were involved in cycle casualties this year.
I would say “Cannot Say”, because we know it has “improved” yet we don’t know if they were adults or teenagers or young children.

Although people are buying less sugar to add to their food, the percentage of sugar eaten in manufactured foods is increasing sharply. In that form it is often referred to on the label as fructose, sucrose or dextrose. Although there is concern at the growing compulsion to eat over-sugared food, there is no proven link between sugar and coronary heart disease, and sugar does not itself make people fat.

Q6) Over-consumption of sugar sometimes results in heart disease.
I would say “Cannot Say” because the passage only talks about “no proven link between sugar and coronary heart disease” and not an over-consumption of it.

The diverse topography of the Peak District is chiefly due to stretching of the earth’s crust, and thinning of Chert and Limestone as a result of plate tectonics. Chert is a variety of quartz created where atoms and microscopic creatures have died and been condensed as a form of liquid silica. The chalk equivalent is flint, which has different properties, and was used during the stone ages for making tools. Limestone is primarily a calcium carbonate and can be created from the integration of shell, algae or plankton deposits within sediment. Although it would appear that the current topography came about from re-exposed earlier features, there is not much that can be uncovered about the geology of the Peak District after the Carboniferous period. It is possible that there were Permo-Triassic deposits as outcrops of this age have been discovered close to the boundaries of the area.

Q7) Permo-Triassic deposits were left in the Peak District after the Carboniferous period.
I’m quite certain that this should be “Cannot Say” as the passage says “there is not much that can be uncovered about the geology of the Peak District after the Carboniferous period” even though Permo-Triassic deposits have been discovered. We just don’t know when they were discovered.

Thanks ladies and gentlemen for your time.
Mohit_C
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Merry Christmas chaps and chapesses!
Mohit_C
Rep:
Any takers?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
16.24%
The paper was reasonable (212)
49.19%
Not feeling great about that exam... (103)
23.9%
It was TERRIBLE (46)
10.67%

Watched Threads