Love and a question Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I love my boyfriend but it's not an emotion and I can't feel it I can just kinda tell it's there somewhere
I don't really feel anything and emotion doesn't consume me or even really touch me. Is this normal or am I quite detached? explain how love feels to you please like is it an emotion or just something oyu know of know
How did you know you were in love?
clannem
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I love my boyfriend but it's not an emotion and I can't feel it I can just kinda tell it's there somewhere
I don't really feel anything and emotion doesn't consume me or even really touch me. Is this normal or am I quite detached? explain how love feels to you please like is it an emotion or just something oyu know of know
Don't worry, you're not the only one! I just associate mine with a constant state of content and happiness with him
Cold 187um
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm guessing you're trying to say that you're unsure of how/what you feel. But there is no need to doubt yourself because love is such a vague concept. There are many different definitions for it. Different people experience love in different ways, i.e. people's interpretations or perceptions of receiving and giving love differ vastly. So, what may be love for one person might not be love for another person.

Again, you shouldn't doubt yourself. You don't need to follow a definition of love that has been conceived by others. There's a reason why you've written that you love your boyfriend, I don't think you would have written that if there wasn't a good reason for doing so. You feel something for him that goes beyond the feeling of simply liking or admiring someone. You chose to use the word love, but in reality you don't need to define or capture this feeling because love isn't consistent or even tangible.

However, you then go on to say that you don't really feel anything and that you don't feel consumed by emotion. I'm not sure what that's like, only you'll know exactly what that feels like. Is it love or is it something else, I do not know. Only you will know whether you're in love. In my opinion - if you're not absolutely certain that you love someone, then it's possible that you might not love them (yet). Because love is an unmistakable feeling, it's not something that you doubt or question, you just know that it's there with full certainty. But let me say that all of this is just my own opinion and it's heavily influenced by my personal experiences.

For me, love is a thought, or rather a collection of thoughts. Everything comes back to this concept of formed thoughts which linger in our brains. Emotions, feelings, memories...they are all thoughts, and they contribute to our personality (sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently). Here's my definition of love and how I experience it: when I think about the people that I love, I think incredibly fondly of the memories that I shared with them, I think of how much happiness they brought to my life and I think about how much I'd love to always have them in my life. It's a feeling of really wanting someone, wanting them in your life and wanting them for yourself, wanting every part of them, missing them when they're gone and feeling pain and sadness when you lose them. Caring about them, wishing them to be happy and to do well in their lives, caring about their happiness and the quality of their experience of life. You feel overwhelmed with happiness and other nice feelings when you're with them. You feel like you're complete as long as you have them in your life. That's what love feels like to me, that's the way I experience it, this description of love may or may not be unique to me. It is not a universal definition of love, no such thing exists. In fact, it's very likely that your experience of love may differ (if you are indeed in love, which you can decide for yourself).

I knew I was in love because...well, because I just knew. It's an unquestionable feeling. There is no mistaking or doubting this feeling that I'm experiencing, I don't even have to analyse it or justify it or try to modify it. It's a feeling that becomes integrated into your mentality and in my case, it will remain with me forever. That's just me, and only me. Your experience may differ completely and this may not make any sense, it may not apply to your situation at all.
Indeterminate
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The way I see it, love is something that's impossible to get over.

There might have been times when you thought you were in love. However, if you managed to move on and forget about the person, then you definitely weren't.

Believe me, you'll know when it happens. For the record, I'm yet to experience that feeling :lol:
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Indeterminate)
The way I see it, love is something that's impossible to get over.

There might have been times when you thought you were in love. However, if you managed to move on and forget about the person, then you definitely weren't.

Believe me, you'll know when it happens. For the record, I'm yet to experience that feeling :lol:
I agree, to me you don't truly know love until you lose the thing that made you feel it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pharmaholic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Everyone experiences love differently. I'm not good with my words, what I've described isn't even a tenth of what I perceive love to be. But when you fall in love with someone, you just know.

I knew I was in love when the void in my heart was filled. I felt peaceful, I felt truly happy. Most of my worries had gone, but those that were left, I felt strong enough to overcome them. When I spoke to him, my body tingled. I would find myself thinking about him every waking minute. I would find myself wanting him and wanting to share my life with him. Every aspect of my life, I wanted him to be involved and aware of. I cared about him so much, it would pain me to know he felt lonely, to know he felt miserable and that there was nothing I could do. I'd think about the memories we created together, and reenact them in my mind. I'd find myself starting into space and smiling just thinking about him. I would long for him, I would always want to be in his presence. He was all I thought about. I just wanted him to myself. I was so comfortable around him, I never had to pretend around him. He was my other half while it lasted. He made me so happy in such a way that nobody else ever could. He gave me something so special and made me feel so warm inside. He made me feel complete, safe and secure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.29%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.57%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.41%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (36)
14.69%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.24%
How can I be the best version of myself? (73)
29.8%

Watched Threads