The Student Room Group

Quietness and my new job!!

I'm starting a new job in a nursery and I'm really nervous about it. I know it's normal to feel nervous about starting a new job and I do think I'll fit in there. But I'm really quiet and shy when I first meet people so I'm worried I'll stay in my shell and kind of unintentionally isolate myself. I really want to be myself and make friends with the people I work with as I think this will boost my confidence massively. As in my previous job I was working with older and way more experienced people and I didn't really make friends there. And I was the quiet one . I know being quiet is part of my personality but I feel once you are labelled as being the quiet one, it's harder to get out of it.
So has anyone got any tips they can suggest? I don't think I'm good at making conversations with new people or keeping a convo going and making it interesting. So weird as I'm 22 and you'd think I'd be confident. I've been to uni and during my degree I lost my dad and I do feel this has knocked the little confidence I was beginning to get when I moved out. So I'm hoping me moving out and house sharing with some friends and starting a new job is a fresh beginning where I can gain confidence and have some fun.

I've been depressed in the past and have low-self esteem as I just think I'm rubbish at everything and I need to build myself up really. I do have some good friends and I'm not wanting to be miss popular or really loud all the time but I do want people to see my personality as I feel that only my close friends see this as opposed to new people.
Reply 1
Anyone got any advice at all??
Just remember that this is your chance to sort of reinvent yourself to an extent, don't let past experiences weigh you down when interacting with colleagues, it's easy to be sociable when you get the hang of it. Be polite, courteous, try to smile and take an genuine interest in what others are saying:h:
Don't be so hard on yourself.
Original post by butt plugger
Don't be so hard on yourself no.

Learn to forgive, learn to let go

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending