Should I choose A-Level Psychology?

Watch
username2281303
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've been thinking of doing Psychology as an A-Level. But I haven't done it as a GCSE, so I don't know what it's really like.The subject itself looks interesting, though.

Can anyone who has actually done a psychology A-level/As-Level tell me what it's like? What skills are involved and how difficult is it?

Thanks.
QUIETONE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)
I've been thinking of doing Psychology as an A-Level. But I haven't done it as a GCSE, so I don't know what it's really like.The subject itself looks interesting, though.

Can anyone who has actually done a psychology A-level/As-Level tell me what it's like? What skills are involved and how difficult is it?

Thanks.
Hey,

With AS Psychology it is quite interesting but there is a lot of information to understand in the sense that there are around 20 case studies to which you would need to remember the psychologist, the year they conducted the study in, how long did it last, what it was about, the results etc. There is also research methods such as diff types of interviews and questionnaires. In there exam there essays who you should be able to structure and write.
jessyjellytot14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am doing psychology and am absolutely loving it!!! It has even made me change my mind about what I want to do in the future! If you have an interest in how the human mind works and why individuals behave the way they do, then you should enjoy it. I am doing the new AQA course and for AS, we are doing research methods, approaches, memory, attachment and psychopathology. My teacher said that on this new course, we aren't expected to remember all the details of every single case study, but we do need to know when to apply them to certain topics, especially in the essay questions.
emiloujess
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)

Thanks.
I've studied Psychology on two exam boards and loved both AQA is more theory and knowing the studies in less detail, OCR is remembering a relatively small number of studies in lots of detail with less theory. (OCR A2 is horrific though) But the studies are relatable to RL experiences and sooo interesting! In AQA we did memory, and learnt memory improvement strategies, how they worked, if they worked etc. It's a lot of work and far from easy but rewarding, especially if you get a good grade

Which other subjects are you thinking of doing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (46)
15.97%
I'm not sure (8)
2.78%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.72%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.39%
I'm not a current university student (130)
45.14%

Watched Threads