InfantVenus1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Is it true that only memorising only gets you a B ?
Can someone please tell me more ways to improve so I can get a A or A*
Eloades11
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by InfantVenus1)
Is it true that only memorising only gets you a B ?
Can someone please tell me more ways to improve so I can get a A or A*
There's a lot of things to factor in when trying to revise and get the best grades possible. One of the main things, especially for A-level Biology, is learning the exam technique. You could write down the correct answer, but lose marks simply because you haven't written it in the correct way, explained it well it enough or missed a key point. The best thing you can do is practise by doing the past papers, then looking over at the mark schemes to see where you can pick up marks.

In terms of learning methods, memorising is important, especially when you have to regurgitate definitions or explanations. Understanding is also important for when you come across particular procedures or processes. You are also more likely to remember specifics if you understand the topics.
rileystringer1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Eloades11)
There's a lot of things to factor in when trying to revise and get the best grades possible. One of the main things, especially for A-level Biology, is learning the exam technique. You could write down the correct answer, but lose marks simply because you haven't written it in the correct way, explained it well it enough or missed a key point. The best thing you can do is practise by doing the past papers, then looking over at the mark schemes to see where you can pick up marks.

In terms of learning methods, memorising is important, especially when you have to regurgitate definitions or explanations. Understanding is also important for when you come across particular procedures or processes. You are also more likely to remember specifics if you understand the topics.
^All of this

and,

in A-level Human Biology (AQA), and I'm pretty sure in all A-level Biology exams, a huge chunk of the marks is for application. So if you write some notes and memorise them, or memorise the textbook, then you will struggle to answer the types of questions where you have to apply concepts and theories as opposed to those where you simply have to regurgitate.

If you make an effort to actually understand what you learn then you don't actually need to "memorise" it, it will just come to you
InfantVenus1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Eloades11)

thanks a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.5%
I'm not sure (51)
4.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.36%
I have already dropped out (34)
3.02%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.58%

Watched Threads