The Student Room Group

Best contraceptive method for someone as forgetful as me?

Hi, me and my boyfriend are looking into contraception, but I don't want to go on the pill for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I am horrendously forgetful, to the point where I missed 2 MONTHS of my iron tablets and didn't realise! I need something that I don't have to think about really but is still guaranteed to be effective. I also know the pill provokes weight gain, my friend put on 2 stone from taking it, which has put me off because my weight fluctuates quite a bit anyway. I am going to the doctors in the new year, but I would like to have an idea about what would be best before I go, what would you recommend from past experience? Thanks!
There are things like the injection and implant.
Or an IUD.

Of those, the implant is staggeringly effective and if you have problems, it can be taken out. The most effective IUDs have progesterone, but in smaller amounts, or you can have ones with no hormones. They can be a bit of a pain to fit, but again, can be removed if there are problems. The injection can't be undone.
go to your doctor and see what they recommend, I think the IUD is popular at the moment
https://www.brook.org.uk/your-life/category/contraception?gclid=Cj0KEQiAhuSzBRDBoZfG56bK9-YBEiQARiPcZcd4pgQSs9dAxQpzSLgq62NSLEBE55J_KvxRGT2PSZEaAgIc8P8HAQ

Has some advice. But yeah, I'd discuss this with your GP. I had to discuss contraception with my GP recently and was given the different options. (or rather, something to stop a painful problem in regards to periods)
IUD is renown for causing heavy periods.
I'm on the Evra Patch which is a weekly contraception - no issues for the 7y I've been on it.
Reply 6
Your best bet if your memory is poor is to probably go for either the implant or the IUS (often also know as the mirena coil). Both of them can stay in for a long period of time and neither of them require much checking (the implant none at all and the IUS they advice you check the strings are still there every now and then). Another option is the injection but you have to get that more frequently so it would require you to remember to book a repeat injection.

If you were to pop to your local family planning clinic (or your GP but the family planning clinic might be more straight forward) they will be able to talk you though the options and help you make a decision.
Reply 7
Thanks for the replies, the implant looks more appealing than the IUD tbh, I'm going to ask my doctor about it, thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Close the door and stay by yourself

Quick Reply