How many quotes needed for AQA AS Level English Lit?

Watch
mughushed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have my first English Lit mock exam in the first week of January, and my Othello exam is a closed book one. How many quotes approx. would I need to remember?
LenniesRabbit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I didn't do Othello but i had done The Tempest.
Everyone I know started of by doing character sheets with the name of the character and then all of the relevant quotes associated to key themes of the play, but I had found doing sheets with the specific theme and then what characters say that fit into that theme and once i had told others about it they had said it was actually better than doing it the other way. I think it's because this way you're actually applying it to something (in this case, a theme or two) whilst revising whereas the other way it was mentally disassociating the quotes so they just end up being words in your head with no clear meaning. E.g. for The Tempest:

Theme: Power
Prospero:
quote 1.
quote 2. etc.

Miranda:quote 1.quote 2. etc.Literally, no joke, I had seen a similar question to this when I was revising for English Lit and was worried about how many quotes to learn, and everyone for some weird reason had said "only 5". You're gonna need WAAY more than 5 in order to get a B or above. Which is why I recommend my method up there ^ Learn around 6-8 quotes per character per theme and it may seem like its hard like I thought when I first picked English Lit but its actually pretty easy because some quotes are pretty catchy especially with Shakespeare and just stick in your head naturally. Say the quotes out loud to yourself over and over. Same for critic quotes. Because honestly, you don't wanna learn just 5 quotes per character and then a theme comes up that you only have one quote for - believe me!I really hope this has helped,any questions just ask!
ivybridge
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mughushed)
I have my first English Lit mock exam in the first week of January, and my Othello exam is a closed book one. How many quotes approx. would I need to remember?
This is not the way to approach closed-book exams in A-Level English Literature.

You need to get to know the texts extremely well, find all the useful quotations you can so that when you are presented with a question, the right ones flow to mind. You should look to produce around 4-5 A4 pages of quotations per-act. It sounds a lot but it's the doing it thay gets them in your head - you'll never need that many.m but you'lll know it well enough to be selective in the paper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.59%
I'm not sure (45)
4.38%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (306)
29.77%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.63%
I'm not a current university student (500)
48.64%

Watched Threads