Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Psych Pya4! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey Everyone,

How did it go? Dont wanna sound arrogant but wasn't it remarkably easy!
    I only started revising last night and all the questions were just right

I did - Altruism, Sleep, Evolution of Intelligence.

How did the rest of you find it?
    It's a nice one because there were so many different combinations to be had and some questions definately looked harder than others.

ReputationRep:
    Absolute diamond of a paper! I've come out walking on air!

I did Altruism, Sleep and Personality - everything I predicted, came up!

My hand is going to fall off though, 12 pages in an hour and a half!

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do the animal behaviour question? I feel I may have buggered it up slightly.

I always run out of time on psychology exams. Can't write fast enough.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my God... I am so relieved It was much better than I expected!

I did:
    Social cognition - question was on attribution of causality which I was praying would come up - for some reason is the topic I remember best out of the entire course and can easily rattle out endless essays on.
    Relationships - question was on understudied relationships, which isn't too hard as it involves a lot of speculation and not really complex theories to remember.
    Personality development - question was on psychodynamic personality theories, so rambled on about Freud until I ran out of time.

If I could have chosen the questions, these would definitely be in my top 10. Now I just hope that what I wrote made sense in my Red Bull induced hyper state

How about everyone else? (Eternalsunshine?)

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was great too! I went a little mad with studies tho, in the first question on rleationships i used about 20! Then the whole freud personality thing was lovely....
    However lots of people in my college seem to have found the paper hard! Im hoping its only 45 marks for a A again, that would be fab!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    Absolute diamond of a paper! I've come out walking on air!

I did Altruism, Sleep and Personality - everything I predicted, came up!

My hand is going to fall off though, 12 pages in an hour and a half!
    Hey! i did those sections too! sleep was a doddle restoration and repair) tho im not too sure abt Meddis cos my mind went blank! personality was a bit dodgy... (had hardly any AO2) and altruism do-able but i missed some AO2 points that i forgot(!)

eek. god. i NEED to do well on this paper but by the sounds of it, i bodged up and the fact that everyone else seemed to find it easy... does that mean the grade boundaries shift higher? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *skye*)
    Hey! i did those sections too! sleep was a doddle restoration and repair) tho im not too sure abt Meddis cos my mind went blank! personality was a bit dodgy... (had hardly any AO2) and altruism do-able but i missed some AO2 points that i forgot(!)

eek. god. i NEED to do well on this paper but by the sounds of it, i bodged up and the fact that everyone else seemed to find it easy... does that mean the grade boundaries shift higher? :confused:
    Dont worry about grade boundaires, most people on here seem to be aiming for A's so its not really representative of all the people doing the exam. Most people in my college found it hard and we are meant to be the best college in the town!

ReputationRep:
    i did sleep- nice question, but i don't think it should have had an a) and b) parter cos it made the evaluation more difficult cos you automatically use one to evaluate the other so it would have been better if they'd been together... but anyway

i did language and thought- nice question really

evolution of intelligence- loved this question cos we'd done that exact question about a month ago so i had it all planned and everything (i talked about Macilvelean intelligence, foragint theory and theory of tool use)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:

Yeah.. Meddis was hard - theres no studies for that though! Just needed to write about Inbus dolphins, Bottlenose dolphins etc... that was all the AO1 there! Alot of my AO2 on Personality was using other theories (SLT, Sit, Type Theory, Greek Humours) to contradict Freud... but I also wrote about methodological problems, pointed out the strengths etc of Freud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cool_guy769)
    Dont worry about grade boundaires, most people on here seem to be aiming for A's so its not really representative of all the people doing the exam. Most people in my college found it hard and we are meant to be the best college in the town!
    hmm... i guess... im still worried tho, cos im one of those ppl who NEEDS an A grade badly... cos otherwise i wont be going to uni(!) i need 101 points ( a very good A)in the last exam to get an A overall and hopefully, if i did well on this resit then, it'll "lessen" the burden slightly. I was 4 points off an A at AS and i bodged up PYA4 in Jan, only getting a C... and it didnt make me feel any better that the ppl who never work at coll got 100%(!) :confused: lol

ReputationRep:
    pretty easy.

i did attribution, patter recognition, and cognitive development.

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Can someone go over how exactly marks are awarded?

I mean, like on the sleep question, it was split into 2, 12 markers. 12 marks for each outline and evaluate.

So do you make 6 facts and 6 criticisms? Or 6 facts and 3 criticisms cos AO2 is worth more? Cos i wasn't sure my criticisms consisted of the 'biggies' but then loads of naff 'ecological validity', 'indiv. diffs.' ones.

Sorry if i sound stupid - I never had a teacher this year!

ReputationRep:
    Pressure is eased for PYA5 now... I need something like 40/130 for an A overall!

ReputationRep:
    hmm... i guess... im still worried tho, cos im one of those ppl who NEEDS an A grade badly... cos otherwise i wont be going to uni(!) i need 101 points ( a very good A)in the last exam to get an A overall and hopefully, if i did well on this resit then, it'll "lessen" the burden slightly. I was 4 points off an A at AS and i bodged up PYA4 in Jan, only getting a C... and it didnt make me feel any better that the ppl who never work at coll got 100%(!) :confused: lol
    I need a A too... But im worried about my coursework, the grades at my college dropped by two last year! Thus i need two good A's in these exams but i got 260 last yr so i do have 20 points give and take.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.. Meddis was hard - theres no studies for that though! Just needed to write about Inbus dolphins, Bottlenose dolphins etc... that was all the AO1 there! Alot of my AO2 on Personality was using other theories (SLT, Sit, Type Theory, Greek Humours) to contradict Freud... but I also wrote about methodological problems, pointed out the strengths etc of Freud.
    Personality: wow, u have a lot of theories.. the only ones we were taught were Freud (obviously) and SLT briefly and thats it! I wrote abt the conflicts, id and ego stuff briefly, psychosexual stages briefly, a random AO2 comment here and there... lol!

I was so annoyed tho, cos i read thru my Freud essay just this morning before i went to skool (at 5AM) lol! and i cudnt rem a thing!

Did everyone write loads? I can't say i wrote vast amounts. My writing was pretty big tho cos i was (trying to) write at speed...and besides, my timing schedule was very tight anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Personality: wow, u have a lot of theories.. the only ones we were taught were Freud (obviously) and SLT briefly and thats it! I wrote abt the conflicts, id and ego stuff briefly, psychosexual stages briefly, a random AO2 comment here and there... lol!

I was so annoyed tho, cos i read thru my Freud essay just this morning before i went to skool (at 5AM) lol! and i cudnt rem a thing!

Did everyone write loads? I can't say i wrote vast amounts. My writing was pretty big tho cos i was (trying to) write at speed...and besides, my timing schedule was very tight anyway...
    I wrote about half of what james w did.. so about 6 sides. But I'm a firm believer in quality not quantity.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a firm believer in quality AND quantity

ReputationRep:
    I wrote between 2 and a half and 3 pages for each, and I have medium sized writing.

Didn't ANYONE do animal behaviour? Having minor nervous breakdown here because I think I might have done it completely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a firm believer in quality AND quantity
    Yes that's true. . BUT in every single set of exams I've done, I've always come out and people have said how many pages did you do etc. And I have always done less than everyone else (even my english teacher noticed this last year) but I always seem to do okay!

Ah well. I'm going to avoid all future thought of PYA4 and just wait and see what happens in August. My my, that is a long way off!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternalsunshine)
    Yes that's true. . BUT in every single set of exams I've done, I've always come out and people have said how many pages did you do etc. And I have always done less than everyone else (even my english teacher noticed this last year) but I always seem to do okay!

Ah well. I'm going to avoid all future thought of PYA4 and just wait and see what happens in August. My my, that is a long way off!!
    You get good marks so it just sounds like you have a conscise writing style and get straight to the point - and I'm guessing examiners won't mind that in the least when they have hundreds of long rambling scripts to get through. I honestly think the amount you write makes no impact compared to what you write. I could have condensed my answers today into fewer pages with some thought, or stretched them out into more - and I'd still get the same marks.

Ooh, 9(ish) weeks to results day... goes by in a flash!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.