maximo17000
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I feel like the content is really really easy to learn and understand but for some reason I can never get higher than 60% in past papers... It dosent matter how many papers/markschemes I look at, I just cant get the hang of it...

anyone else have this trouble?

Anyone know the best way to solve this problem?

Any (useful) help is appreciated, thanks.
Neurosci
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would presume you are struggling with the application questions as these are by far the hardest and knowledge alone will not help you here, best way to learn this is past papers and mark schemes I feel as often the similar types of applications are used, the situation might change but the principle (and therefore the aswers) remain the same.
maximo17000
Rep:
?
it seems to be evry question (almost) just tend to miss out what the question is actually asking for
Yesitisi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by maximo17000)
it seems to be evry question (almost) just tend to miss out what the question is actually asking for
Are you doing AS or A2?

I'm in AS and in literally in the same boat. I fly by lessons and understand the questions really easily but the answer has to be more precise, specific to the question and may require some out of the box thinking.

Although, in biological molecules, I'm doing a lot better, just can't figure it out
maximo17000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yesitisi)
Are you doing AS or A2?

I'm in AS and in literally in the same boat. I fly by lessons and understand the questions really easily but the answer has to be more precise, specific to the question and may require some out of the box thinking.

Although, in biological molecules, I'm doing a lot better, just can't figure it out
A2. I am exactly the same, maybe we can come to a conclusion together - or are we just too smart for the exams?
Yesitisi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by maximo17000)
A2. I am exactly the same, maybe we can come to a conclusion together - or are we just too smart for the exams?
Lol, I hope it's the latter. Tbh we just need to brush up on our exam technique. E.g how to apply to the situation, read the question twice and all of that lovely stuff people shout at you expecting it will help.

Also, how is A2 bio? I heard it's considerably harder, what do you think?
maximo17000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yesitisi)
Lol, I hope it's the latter. Tbh we just need to brush up on our exam technique. E.g how to apply to the situation, read the question twice and all of that lovely stuff people shout at you expecting it will help.

Also, how is A2 bio? I heard it's considerably harder, what do you think?
ye i guess so.

A2 is not too much harder, although this year ive been 'revising' from the start. I'd say the only reason it is a little harder is because (for me) the teachers are different this year and teach us jack ****, don't turn up for half the lesson and when they do, they tell us to read from the text book smh.

ill stop ranting now.

Just remember: 'they dont want you to win", "the key to success is to get a massage every week" and "another one" - DJ Khaled
AndrewKn0x
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing AS biology and I do reasonably well in my end of unit tests, which are essentially a bunch of past paper questions compiled into a small test and I manage to score A's. I'm on the WJEC exam board, so the way your exam board marks answers will most likely differ from other exam boards. The key thing is I think it to definitely state the basic, especially with the more content intense topics because you have so many ideas rushing through your head, you forget to state the obvious and frustratingly lose vital marks! I definitely thought this with cell division, sometimes you literally have to state that mitosis consists of two divisions and meiosis four divisions in a very complex application question and it seems so odd to say that! Another key thing is to properly decode, in your own words in your head, what they're asking for (this only comes with practise) e.g. an essay question in a mock I was recently set asked us to compare how the mitochondria and the chloroplast has adapted to perform it's function and then compare it to the structure of a prokaryotic cell; basically compare the structure and function of both organelles then compare with prokaryotic cell. They seem to add in extra words that make you think when you really shouldn't, although in some cases you really should - they do try a lot to trick you in biology exams. For me personally, I find them okay. Model answers are also very useful especially for topics like osmosis and where the concentration of water is high/low, and the structure of a DNA molecule as they often ask that as a four marker. Make sure you're using key words as well in your answers and that you use comparative language to compare things i.e. if a question states how this organelle is different to this your answer should read a long the lines of: This organelle has blah blah... while this organelle does/does not blah blah blah. Wow I rambled a bit, hope this helped! If it didn't I'm sorry for wasting your time lol. Make sure your answers are concise yet informative!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (73)
29.92%
No (171)
70.08%

Watched Threads