Battery Life on laptops

Watch
batoot
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
what's the best way to charge your laptop to keep the battery life high?/ improve it?

like should you wait until it dies completely every time and then charge it, or should you start charging it at around 10 or 20%?

also can you use your laptop whilst it charging? or is it better to turn it off and let it charge and only use it once its 100% again.
Mayhem™
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
The percentage of the battery level at which you start charging the device at has no varying effect on the battery itself, and yes, you can use your laptop whilst it's charging.
CalvinJ21
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
the modern laptop battery doesn't need many maintenance guidelines for it to last long.

I know people who take their batteries out and just use the power cable when they're gonna be stationary for a long time (days) but I haven't seen any significant advantage in the long run over people who keep their battery in, charge when it's low and keep it plugged in damn near 24/7.

I keep mine plugged in almost 24/7. I only plug it out when I'm moving or when I'm going to sleep and my battery is still good.. ish. My laptop and battery are 3 years old and the battery just started going a few weeks ago. When I just bought it, I could get 4 hours but around the median time I could usually get 2 and 1/2 hours easily and nowadays I get >45 mins.

Maybe plugging in and plugging out according to battery level does have some effect on battery life/longevity but it's probably negligible because all batteries go bad eventually and I'd say 3 years is pretty good.
Ladymusiclover
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Slightly off topic but where can you buy a new laptop battery? I've had my laptop for 3 years but the battery is less efficient now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.62%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.72%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (135)
25.81%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
8.22%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (252)
48.18%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.44%

Watched Threads