The Student Room Group

My motivation level is still not back to where it used to be.

From Year 7 to Year 11, my strategy was this:

Do proper revision for tests only occasionally; for all others do last minute revision. Enjoy life for now, and save all your energy until the end of year exams (and for any controlled assessments).

It worked; I did manage to get good grades for my GCSEs. As a result, I only really had the motivation as the big exams approached.

Sadly, that strategy collapsed this September (Year 12) for two reasons:

1. An A Level covers a subject in greater detail than than a GCSE, so revision requires constant effort throughout the year.

2. AS Levels are being decoupled from the overall A Level qualification, and my school is not doing the new AS Levels. This means that teacher references will become more important than before, and teachers will base their reference on progress throughout the year.

At the same time, I had a motivation crash around June; I had lost the urge to revise after the end of my GCSEs. A number of below average grades woke me back to reality, but my motivation levels (which in turn affects my productivity during revision) is only around 65% of its June level. That's simply not good enough for me.

How do I become more motivated during revision?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
learn breakdancing
Failure is the best motivation.You'll be motivated soon enough.
Original post by Palette
From Year 7 to Year 11, my strategy was this:

Do proper revision for tests only occasionally; for all others do last minute revision. Enjoy life for now, and save all your energy until the end of year exams (and for any controlled assessments).

It worked; I did manage to get good grades for my GCSEs. As a result, I only really had the motivation as the big exams approached.

Sadly, that strategy collapsed this September (Year 12) for two reasons:

1. An A Level covers a subject in greater detail than than a GCSE, so revision requires constant effort throughout the year.

2. AS Levels are being decoupled from the overall A Level qualification, and my school is not doing the new AS Levels. This means that teacher references will become more important than before, and teachers will base their reference on progress throughout the year.

At the same time, I had a motivation crash around June; I had lost the urge to revise after the end of my GCSEs. A number of below average grades partially woke me back to reality, but my motivation levels (which in turn affects my productivity during revision) is only around 65% of its June level. That's simply not good enough for me.

How do I become more motivated during revision?

Take small but frequent breaks.

Remind yourself of what you actually loved about the subject in the first place maybe do research or experiments on the subject in an area or a particular case study that you found particularly interesting; in turn your motivation for that subject should increase back to its normal levels, in fact, more in some cases.

In other cases it might turn out that youre not actually studying what you actually want to do and it's not making you happy and that's why you're feeling demotivated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
keep reminding yourself what you're doing the work for and where you hope to be in the future.

IT will pay off
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
Reply 6
lmao I'm still recovering from my GCSEs

and i'm in A2 X'DDD

AS ruined me T_T

when i went into AS i was still burnt out from GCSEs (school ****ed us up with changing examboards and extra stress and firing teachers and that)
In AS we continued to get ****ed by the school and i could barely do my homework, i tried really hard towards the end (i'm talking waking up at 2am to revise and sleeping at 10pm - continual revision between exams and hardly any breaks)

only got BBCC - got told that was **** by everyone i know so now my motivation is literally below zero...

but I managed to revise for my mocks and pulled out a B for bio, a C for chem - which i've been getting consistently, and computing is coming back after christmas

nothing is working - no videos, no YOUR LIFE IS GOING TO END IF YOU DON'T STUDY, nothing
i just can't do it :/
and i'm being locked with my book - i haven't been outside for anything other than school since July and i'm getting physically sick from stress but i STILL can't get myself to revise

idek why i'm waffling on but you're not alone buddy :tongue:
also do it so you don't end up like me :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending