Should I study Makeup/Hair at Uni?

Watch
JCh13
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm 19, and my 'dream career' is to be a makeup artist/bodypainter/facepainter.

I am qualified in makeup (NVQ level 2/3) although the course (part-time) I studied was very basic and didn't involve learning about hair. I'm trying to weigh up whether it'd be a wise idea studying the subject at uni (so I can gain a better education on makeup/hair/setting up as freelance) or whether it'd set me back (in terms of cost/debt). Any of you study makeup at Uni?
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JCh13)
I'm 19, and my 'dream career' is to be a makeup artist/bodypainter/facepainter.

I am qualified in makeup (NVQ level 2/3) although the course (part-time) I studied was very basic and didn't involve learning about hair. I'm trying to weigh up whether it'd be a wise idea studying the subject at uni (so I can gain a better education on makeup/hair/setting up as freelance) or whether it'd set me back (in terms of cost/debt). Any of you study makeup at Uni?
I've only just seen this so am quoting in the hope that you find my reply.

The makeup in beauty level 2 is very basic. I would definitely recommend some of the vtct level 3 makeup courses. These can be done privately or at a college (privately can cost about the same to be honest and it's the same qualification but timetabled to suit your needs better).

You could do a makeup degree but my opinion on it is that you would probably have a wider range of options (whilst being equally employable in makeup) if you did a degree in another subject plus some level 3 qualifications in makeup.
JCh13
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
I've only just seen this so am quoting in the hope that you find my reply.

The makeup in beauty level 2 is very basic. I would definitely recommend some of the vtct level 3 makeup courses. These can be done privately or at a college (privately can cost about the same to be honest and it's the same qualification but timetabled to suit your needs better).

You could do a makeup degree but my opinion on it is that you would probably have a wider range of options (whilst being equally employable in makeup) if you did a degree in another subject plus some level 3 qualifications in makeup.
Good points! Thanks for taking the time to write your response. Yeah, level 3 vtct sounds good... it's deffo worth me looking at it more in depth!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (45)
36.29%
No (65)
52.42%
I don't know (14)
11.29%

Watched Threads