The Student Room Group

I have severe depression/anxiety, don't know whether to take the year out of school

So my depressions gotten worse and social anxiety since I began sixth form. I haven't been able to make friends since I was a late starter due to me being too scared to go into school, since then I've missed so many days off to the point that they had to take me off roll but I was so stressed and at the point where I was about to have a mental breakdown, my family aren't supportive and I have literally no friends. So right now I'm stuck on whether I should start a new school, or take the rest of the year off to find ways to improve myself where I won't have any school pressure. The thing is though if I do take a year off I will put my home in jeopardy since my mum can only afford rent if I'm in full time education, we've been arguing about that for a while and it's been so much stress. What can I do? Being in school, any school doesn't matter which will stress me out because I'm not fit enough to function there, my teacher even recommended to me that taking time off is the best thing, but losing my home won't help my depression and I really don't want that
Original post by Jeesus
So my depressions gotten worse and social anxiety since I began sixth form. I haven't been able to make friends since I was a late starter due to me being too scared to go into school, since then I've missed so many days off to the point that they had to take me off roll but I was so stressed and at the point where I was about to have a mental breakdown, my family aren't supportive and I have literally no friends. So right now I'm stuck on whether I should start a new school, or take the rest of the year off to find ways to improve myself where I won't have any school pressure. The thing is though if I do take a year off I will put my home in jeopardy since my mum can only afford rent if I'm in full time education, we've been arguing about that for a while and it's been so much stress. What can I do? Being in school, any school doesn't matter which will stress me out because I'm not fit enough to function there, my teacher even recommended to me that taking time off is the best thing, but losing my home won't help my depression and I really don't want that

Hey, I'm really sorry that you're going through this. I can (somewhat) relate because I missed most of years 10 and 11 due to having anorexia - although I obviously wasn't allowed to be in school during that time.

It sounds as though you do need to take the time off. Being in school right now is not productive if it's not helping you to learn and is damaging your health. But that doesn't mean that you have to leave full time education - there are alternatives. For example, many councils run a free "school" service for young people in the area who aren't in school. It is very commonly used by those suffering from mental health issues.

Are you currently seeing CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health service)? If you are, they will be able to fast track you into some sort of teaching scheme like the one I mentioned. If not, I really recommend that you go to your GP and get a referral to CAMHS. I don't know what sort of support you are getting right now, but depression is serious and seeing a psychiatrist and having access to the appropriate medication will help. Your doctor will also be able to write a note to your school explaining why you can't be in and they should be able to make allowances such as sending home work.

So, it may be that you need to temporarily take some time out. That's ok. But if you're not doing so already, get some support so that you can feel well enough to return. I know it's not easy but you can do it - it's just going to take time and help.
Reply 2
I'll be your friend :smile:

I believe you do need to take time out, school is not a positive experience for you at the moment. Try to talk to your GP regarding your issues or see a qualified counsellor.

I agree with everything with the poster above and this is excellent advice.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest