Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HELP! Do you loose marks if.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was wondering whether any of you knew wheter you are going to loose marks on a P1 paper if you'd used the formula (-b+-sqrt b^-4ac)/2 to find the roots instead of directly putting the values into brackets? any help would be appreciated...

ReputationRep:
    You mean instead of factorising? Nah, you shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    yup, i meant factorising. i was wondering cos 5 minutes ago i was doin a p2 paper and i marked it according to the marking scheme and in there they'd factorise the equation and say nothing about using the formula, which sometimes can be ways easier!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiril)
    yup, i meant factorising. i was wondering cos 5 minutes ago i was doin a p2 paper and i marked it according to the marking scheme and in there they'd factorise the equation and say nothing about using the formula, which sometimes can be ways easier!
    if the quadratic factorises into two brackets then you will get an exact answer, which you will get from the formula as well so it really doesnt matter. obviously if the question asks you to factorise then you should, but otherwise it shouldnt make a difference. you can always check if the quadratic will factorise before trying to by seeing whether the root of (b^2 - 4ac) is an exact number

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.