The Student Room Group

Alcohol is the most dangerous drug in the world, yet widely accepted. Why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Owensmith16
one of the most recognised dangers of alcohol is the indirect social impact, which doesnt come with 'drugs' like cannabis and shrooms etc. or even MD.

Sure. I agree that alcohol is a dangerous substance and, based on what I've read, that it's significantly more dangerous than the drugs you've mentioned here.

DRIVE DRUNK, YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING 30 AND YOU'RE REALLY DOING 90.
DRIVE HIGH, YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING 90 AND YOU'RE REALLY DOING 30.
YOU STOP AT RED LIGHTS TWICE.

Are you suggesting that driving while high is safe?
Original post by VV Cephei A
x

You seem to be really clued up on the long term effects of regular MDMA usage. I'm quite interested - please could you link me to some studies/papers on this?
Original post by VV Cephei A
We're comparing like for like here. No one has ever got carcinoma of the liver, cirrhosis, depression, or significant loss of cognitive function from drinking socially once per week on Friday night.

People who consume MDMA at that frequency absolutely are at risk of serious health consequences. Even regular users would never recommend using more than once per month, at a stretch.

Seriously, take MDMA every weekend for a year and get back to me with the results.

I don't think 'like for like' really paints the whole picture, though. It's highly unlikely that an MDMA user would end up taking it every week because it would simply stop being enjoyable after maybe a month due to rapid tolerance built up, and the potential for physical addiction is low to non-existent. Long-term weekly MDMA use is an extreme scenario that falls outside what would be considered 'normal' use, while long-term weekly alcohol use is very common and certainly does lead to addiction and illness in some cases. Basically, the comparison is moot because nobody would take MDMA once a week for a year in the first place. It is inherently self-limiting while alcohol use has a fairly high potential to spiral out of control.
(edited 8 years ago)
Deffo some sort of illuminati conspiracy at play when alcohol/smoking is practically endorsed by Hollywood and a relatively harmless plant is absolutely illegal
Original post by studentro
Are you suggesting that driving while high is safe?

It was a joke man chill out aha jeez its a quote from a film, chill. You, my friend, need a gary.
It was a joke man chill out aha jeez its a quote from a film, chill. You, my friend, need a gary.

chill man chill aha was just asking a question man, chill bro
Original post by studentro
chill man chill aha was just asking a question man, chill bro

Okay man we'll all chill
Something called...advertising & marketing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending