The Student Room Group

BSc = Bachelor of Science, MSci = _____ of Science ?

Happy holidays everyone! :couchpotato:

Spoiler

I was talking to my grandparents about my change of course from a BSc to an MSci, and said '... so instead of having a Bachelor of Science degree, I would have a... um... I... actually don't know. :colondollar:'

I've only been referring to it as an 'MSci', everyone I've talked to about it calls it an 'MSci', no mention of what it would stand for at the end! I looked it up sheepishly on my phone at my grandparents' house, and found that it is the British equivalent of the standard European degree, which is referred to by all sorts of different words in different countries. It can't be Master of Science, as it's an undergraduate degree.

so.

If anyone knows what goes on the end of my name on the fancy bit of paper symbolising all the blood, sweat, tears and coffee I endured through four years, please drop me a line. :flip:
Reply 1
I think there is such thing as an undergraduate masters, you can change to it usually after your first year, if your grades are good enough
It's still just a masters degree. Just like how a lot of universities will let you apply for a BSc and then then switch over to an MSci after your first year if you do well, or attempt to apply for the MSci (performance dependent still) right off the bat as a 4-year course.
Master of Science...isn't it obvious? MSci is an integrated Masters degree.
Reply 4
Original post by MJlover
I think there is such thing as an undergraduate masters, you can change to it usually after your first year, if your grades are good enough

There is.
You can apply for it directly through UCAS just as you would for a BSc
It's normally one year longer, and harder and has higher entry requirements.
But it's not equivalent to a normal Masters degree although it's higher than a Bachelors
It's easier to apply for an MSci and drop down to a BSc at uni if you find it too hard than applying for a BSc and trying to upgrade to a MSci due to the extra year and problems with finance
Original post by liomeeringca
Happy holidays everyone! :couchpotato:

Spoiler

I was talking to my grandparents about my change of course from a BSc to an MSci, and said '... so instead of having a Bachelor of Science degree, I would have a... um... I... actually don't know. :colondollar:'

I've only been referring to it as an 'MSci', everyone I've talked to about it calls it an 'MSci', no mention of what it would stand for at the end! I looked it up sheepishly on my phone at my grandparents' house, and found that it is the British equivalent of the standard European degree, which is referred to by all sorts of different words in different countries. It can't be Master of Science, as it's an undergraduate degree.

so.

If anyone knows what goes on the end of my name on the fancy bit of paper symbolising all the blood, sweat, tears and coffee I endured through four years, please drop me a line. :flip:

It is a Masters of Science, because now you're doing 4 years instead of 3.
Original post by MJlover

Original post by CloakedSpartan
It's still just a masters degree. Just like how a lot of universities will let you apply for a BSc and then then switch over to an MSci after your first year if you do well, or attempt to apply for the MSci (performance dependent still) right off the bat as a 4-year course.

Original post by Zweihander
It is a Masters of Science, because now you're doing 4 years instead of 3.

Thanks everyone! Didn't want to be presumptuous and say it was a Masters because imagine if I was wrong :s-smilie: I started off BSc in first year and I am now MSci in my second year :smile: Happy holidays once again! :xmasgrin:
Original post by Gnomes&Knights
Master of Science...isn't it obvious? MSci is an integrated Masters degree.

Not always obvious to someone with a lot of things on their mind and enacting a complex balancing act trying not to get anything wrong. :work: Thank you for your answer! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by liomeeringca
Thanks everyone! Didn't want to be presumptuous and say it was a Masters because imagine if I was wrong :s-smilie: I started off BSc in first year and I am now MSci in my second year :smile: Happy holidays once again! :xmasgrin:

It's an undergraduate masters - not equal to an actual masters but i imagine it would make it easier to do a masters after
it's higher than a BSc though

good luck and you too :biggrin:
Original post by z33
There is.
You can apply for it directly through UCAS just as you would for a BSc
It's normally one year longer, and harder and has higher entry requirements.
But it's not equivalent to a normal Masters degree although it's higher than a Bachelors
It's easier to apply for an MSci and drop down to a BSc at uni if you find it too hard than applying for a BSc and trying to upgrade to a MSci due to the extra year and problems with finance

Thank you for replying :h: I have in fact done the latter that you have described, but hopefully I'll be fine. Hopefully. Happy holiday season! :holly2:
It's a master of science. The difference between Msc and Msci is Msci is an integrated masters.
Original post by z33
It's an undergraduate masters - not equal to an actual masters but i imagine it would make it easier to do a masters after
it's higher than a BSc though

good luck and you too :biggrin:

It's an actual masters. You can go straight to PhD after, assuming grades etc..
Reply 11
Original post by morgan8002
It's a master of science. The difference between Msc and Msci is Msci is an integrated masters.

It's an actual masters. You can go straight to PhD after, assuming grades etc..

only if you get really high grades right?
Original post by z33
only if you get really high grades right?

It depends, but I think the standard required is a first or a 2.1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending