Combined apparent magnitude of a star cluster

Watch
velkyr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all, I've been set a question which asks for the combined apparent magnitude of a cluster of 25000 stars. 1000 of them have an apparent magnitude m = 12.0, and the other 24000 have m = 15.0.

So far I've calculated that the combined apparent magnitude of the set of 1000 stars is exactly 7, and for the 24000 it is approximately 4 (4.04947...). However, I don't know how to then combine these values for the whole cluster.

I've been using the equation:  m_1 - m_2 = 2.5log(L_1/L_2)

Presumably I'll have to use this again, but the issue is I don't actually know how to calculate the luminosity/intensity required... Up until this point, the fractions have just cancelled to simple numbers without a prior calculation being needed. I've tried to search how to progress but nothing is making much sense to me Any help would be much appreciated.
velkyr
Rep:
?
Surely someone has an idea? Please
Absent Agent
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by velkyr)
Hi all, I've been set a question which asks for the combined apparent magnitude of a cluster of 25000 stars. 1000 of them have an apparent magnitude m = 12.0, and the other 24000 have m = 15.0.

So far I've calculated that the combined apparent magnitude of the set of 1000 stars is exactly 7, and for the 24000 it is approximately 4 (4.04947...). However, I don't know how to then combine these values for the whole cluster.

I've been using the equation:  m_1 - m_2 = 2.5log(L_1/L_2)

Presumably I'll have to use this again, but the issue is I don't actually know how to calculate the luminosity/intensity required... Up until this point, the fractions have just cancelled to simple numbers without a prior calculation being needed. I've tried to search how to progress but nothing is making much sense to me Any help would be much appreciated.
I didn't do astrophysics in My A2 units so I really don't know how to approach the question. For what level is this? Is there an equation to calculate the luminosity/intensity? There are some Astrophysics notes online for AQA that might be of help.

Edit: perhaps this helps.

http://physics.unl.edu/~klee/ast204/...-solutions.pdf
velkyr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
I didn't do astrophysics in My A2 units so I really don't know how to approach the question. For what level is this? Is there an equation to calculate the luminosity/intensity? There are some Astrophysics notes online for AQA that might be of help.

Edit: perhaps this helps.

http://physics.unl.edu/~klee/ast204/...-solutions.pdf
Hi, it's for first year undergraduate work.

I was using that question to help me through it but I don't know how the last part of it is done. Therein lies my issue.
velkyr
Rep:
?
Nevermind, have sorted it by using another method now. Thanks anyway.
Absent Agent
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by velkyr)
Nevermind, have sorted it by using another method now. Thanks anyway.
No worries! Glad you managed to figure it out as I really have no idea how to work that out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
15.15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
31.99%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (37)
12.46%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.75%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.72%
I think it's an unfair expectation (74)
24.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.01%

Watched Threads