An MSC in Computer Science after Civil Engineering? Watch

This discussion is closed.
ironman254
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am currently a third year Civil Engineering student and I am having doubts about my career path.

I have always had a great passion for computers, coding and technology. I code software in my spare time and enjoy doing so.

When picking my degree choice, I did consider computer science and even mathematics as two possible choices. However, after talking with elders in similar career fields and also having a passion for physics (which I still have), I decided to choose the path of a civil engineer. I adored the idea of being a part of the design of infrastructure and creating bridges and underground systems in order to better the way we live.

However, after studying Civil Engineering and spending a few weeks in a small firm (during the summer), I have come to the conclusion that many misconceptions were sold to me. I understand that this may be the case for the majority of degree and career choices, however Civil Engineering does not appeal to me as much now that I have experienced how cut-throat it is. My passion for physics seems like it will never be fed, as the industry is all about lawsuits and covering your own back. From what I have experienced, there isn't really much engineering going on.

My current plans are to follow the course through (as I did pick it for a reason and I do remind myself for that). I am currently able to continue after the BEng and gain an MEng in Civil Engineering as this would help me greatly in the industry (as I can one day work toward becoming a chartered engineer).

I have been considering the option of applying for an MSc in Computer Science and maybe having a change of career choice. I know I will be able to keep up with any work thrown at me, even without the Bsc in Computer Science, as I have a computing A-Level and read up on many other Computer Science related topics in my spare time.

I would like to know whether or not future employers (from both civil and software engineering fields) would see my change in degree choice as a negative. Would I be taking too much of a risk? Would the employers in general think I am simply confused or don't have enough background?

I also feel as though my 3 years of Civil Engineering would be going to waste.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is a change in career choice negative? Absolutely not. Especially in the context you describe. Lots of people don't make the best possible choice when selecting their undergraduate degree and to do a masters or indeed any thing else to get you to where you do want to be shows initiative and motivation. Just be sure to write covering letters that are reflective of this
ironman254
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks for your reply

I see what you mean. I would be able to explain to employers that I have come from a tough degree background and have decided to make some changes to follow my passion.

I just want to make sure that the implications of taking this route aren't too likely to put me in a negative situation. I feel as though employers may disregard my BEng studies as they are most likely irrelevant.

Also (I hope this isn't off-topic), but would I be able to sell my out of degree work to employers. Coding, Graphic Design and Mathematics are all studies which I treat as hobbies, but without the need for them (par maths) during my degree, would an employer regard any work I do in my spare time as worth considering?
alleycat393
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Possibly depending on how you pitch it, where and who endorses it. You'll just have to give it a go and see what happens.
Ivanka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know someone who did an undergrad in PPE and then went straight into a Master's in CS. She got a job immediately after she graduated.
username2130115
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
most software engineering employers only ask for a technical degree, e.g. maths, physics, engineering, or computer science. you won't be at a disadvantage.
PhuocThinh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How it's going now ? ironman254
artful_lounger
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PhuocThinh)
How it's going now ? ironman254
This thread is over three years old (and that user hasn't been active since 2016 )
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?