How do you tell people you went to Oxford Brookes? Watch

indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Look, just because certain unis have lowered their entry requirements it doesn't undermine the achievement of the students, I feel. Regardless, not everyone can get an E grade in A-levels, so it's still an achievement.
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by indigobluesss)
I think that's rather condescending. It IS difficult to get into uni, pursing further education is something to be proud of, I think.
People get into uni with BTECs, it is easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Look, just because certain unis have lowered their entry requirements it doesn't undermine the achievement of the students, I feel. Regardless, not everyone can get an E grade in A-levels, so it's still an achievement.
Yes of course it does. If everyone has a degree then the merit of having one at all is diminished.

Not everyone is a winner ffs.
indigobluesss
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
People get into uni with BTECs, it is easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just because you find something easy doesn't mean it's that case for everyone else.

(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
Yes of course it does. If everyone has a degree then the merit of having one at all is diminished.

Not everyone is a winner ffs.
Of course not everyone can be a winner. I still stand by my previous statement >_>
redwhiteandbrit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Slightly off topic but I knew someone who spent the year telling everyone she was applying to Oxford etc.

Later found out she meant Brookes.

Later found out she didn't get in there either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by redwhiteandbrit)
Later found out she meant Brookes.

Later found out she didn't get in there either.
That's sad.

The students at Leeds Met who can barely meet their EE offers have not achieved anything by definition. They've failed their exams. And they're about to waste £25.5ks for a course anyway.
Fuego1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
just say that you went to Oxford University lool. If they ask what you did and you happened to do an art and design course well, then you're screwed. Good luck!
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just because you find something easy doesn't mean it's that case for everyone else.
If you find a BTEC hard then there is no hope.
indigobluesss
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you find a BTEC hard then there is no hope.
No hope for what? I never said I find them hard, I've never taken one so I wouldn't know. But there are people who take them and there are people that struggle and persevere through them, and I think it's simply wrong to undermine their achievement.
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The old classic "I went to university in Oxford". Helps if you move to America
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No hope for what? I never said I find them hard, I've never taken one so I wouldn't know. But there are people who take them and there are people that struggle and persevere through them, and I think it's simply wrong to undermine their achievement.
No hope at life. You was a plural you, not a personal you.
indigobluesss
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No hope at life. You was a plural you, not a personal you.
Splendid. Let's sit at our high horses and collectively judge everyone who has chosen to take a BTEC as having no hope in life. Because only successful people take A-levels.

It's a shame Edison and Einstein didn't have A-levels, bloody failures, aren't they? *facepalm*
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
all yoonies are of equal value :yep:
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Splendid. Let's sit at our high horses and collectively judge everyone who has chosen to take a BTEC as having no hope in life. Because only successful people take A-levels.

It's a shame Edison and Einstein didn't have A-levels, bloody failures, aren't they? *facepalm*
Your comprehension is poor. I said those who struggle with a BTEC has no hope at life.

Try harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
all yoonies are of equal value :yep:
Sit down, comrade.
indigobluesss
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your comprehension is poor. I said those who struggle with a BTEC has no hope at life.

Try harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which is exactly my point, just because someone struggled at BTEC (or any form of education for that matter), it doesn't mean they're a subspecies to us (nor does it mean they have no hope at life).
Serine Soul
Badges: 18
Report 3 years ago
Someone I know who went to Oxford Brookes put down 'University of Oxford' on their CV.
Is that legal? Just curious

Posted from TSR Mobile
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Which is exactly my point, just because someone struggled at BTEC (or any form of education for that matter), it doesn't mean they're a subspecies to us (nor does it mean they have no hope at life).
Who ever said they were subspecies?

Us? I'm nothing like you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DetectivePeralta
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just emphasises the Brooke's part of it:
Say "I went to Oxford BROOKES" putting emphasis on the Brooke's and saying the Oxford part quite quickly.
indigobluesss
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Who ever said they were subspecies?

Us? I'm nothing like you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah- I doubt a fellow human would have so little compassion and understanding.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (46)
67.65%
No I haven't decided yet (15)
22.06%
Yes but I might change my mind (7)
10.29%

Watched Threads