Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Now mean teachers! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that people in "caring professions" keep being rude to me at the moment for no apparent reason?! I'm about the quietest, most compliant person you can find so I don't exactly try and get people in authority riled up. Maybe it's some kind of conspiracy

I'm doing my A2s by distance learning so I had to find a school to sit exams as an external candidate. I've been there quite a few times now, just go in, sit the exam and leave again. There's a small car park round the back of the school that I've always parked in because there's no other parking anywhere near. A few spaces round the front are marked allocated, but there are no other signs anywhere. I was sitting my car going over revision notes before my exam today, and there were only about 2 other cars in a row of about 10 spaces. Then this scowling teacher comes and knocks on my window. I open the door and she glares at me and goes "Do you know you can't park here?" I was like "Oh, no, I'm so sorry, I didn't... why is that?", thinking there must be some event on or something. She replies "It's for STAFF ONLY" at the top of her voice whilst I'm confusedly trying to see if I'd missed any signs anywhere (I hadn't). I said "Oh I'm so sorry, I'll move my car now, I had no idea" and she replies "I think you DID!" and storms off! :confused: I mean, what?! How are visitors to the school supposed to know if there's no signs?! If I'd been visiting with the intention of going there she'd have put me right off. People confuse me. Would it have been so hard to tell me that in a non-confrontational way? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I think now's the time to stop being quiet and compliant honey, you shouldve demanded she not talk to you like that!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    I think now's the time to stop being quiet and compliant honey, you shouldve demanded she not talk to you like that!!
    Yeah... my automatic instincts are always to say sorry to people and be nice and polite and blah blah. Then about 5 minutes later, I'm thinking of all the things I should have said to them (or in her case, thinking I should have got out the car and put her in her place ) I guess hindsight's 20-20... I kept seeing her wandering through the exam hall though and wanting to launch a pencilcase missile her way :rolleyes:

Hmm yeah that is quite rude, but nevermind - just ignore her. Some teachers like to display their authority too much, or maybe she was just stressed about something and took it out on you...when i'm a teacher i'll be nicer, don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Yeah... my automatic instincts are always to say sorry to people and be nice and polite and blah blah. Then about 5 minutes later, I'm thinking of all the things I should have said to them (or in her case, thinking I should have got out the car and put her in her place ) I guess hindsight's 20-20... I kept seeing her wandering through the exam hall though and wanting to launch a pencilcase missile her way :rolleyes:

lol @ " launch a pencilcase missile her way "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    definately, she was out of order. I personally think you should have made a formal complaint at the reception or something, or make a big scene...saying that i would shy away and would automatically let myself feel inferior.
    Actually sarcasm works wonders.no need to be rude, just something like:
    'oh...i didnt see the sign that informs visitors that this is for staff only.'
    all said in a polite tone. grrr, people like that really drive me crazy! :mad:

Teachers tell me off if i'm sarcastic and/or correct them, some people are so touchy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Why is it that people in "caring professions" keep being rude to me at the moment for no apparent reason?! I'm about the quietest, most compliant person you can find so I don't exactly try and get people in authority riled up. Maybe it's some kind of conspiracy

I'm doing my A2s by distance learning so I had to find a school to sit exams as an external candidate. I've been there quite a few times now, just go in, sit the exam and leave again. There's a small car park round the back of the school that I've always parked in because there's no other parking anywhere near. A few spaces round the front are marked allocated, but there are no other signs anywhere. I was sitting my car going over revision notes before my exam today, and there were only about 2 other cars in a row of about 10 spaces. Then this scowling teacher comes and knocks on my window. I open the door and she glares at me and goes "Do you know you can't park here?" I was like "Oh, no, I'm so sorry, I didn't... why is that?", thinking there must be some event on or something. She replies "It's for STAFF ONLY" at the top of her voice whilst I'm confusedly trying to see if I'd missed any signs anywhere (I hadn't). I said "Oh I'm so sorry, I'll move my car now, I had no idea" and she replies "I think you DID!" and storms off! :confused: I mean, what?! How are visitors to the school supposed to know if there's no signs?! If I'd been visiting with the intention of going there she'd have put me right off. People confuse me. Would it have been so hard to tell me that in a non-confrontational way? :confused:
    You have to get angry with people then they will not take you for a ride for instance when I have a bad day my face apparently forms an expression which looks like I am going to murder someone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    definately, she was out of order. I personally think you should have made a formal complaint at the reception or something, or make a big scene...saying that i would shy away and would automatically let myself feel inferior.
    Actually sarcasm works wonders.no need to be rude, just something like:
    'oh...i didnt see the sign that informs visitors that this is for staff only.'
    all said in a polite tone. grrr, people like that really drive me crazy! :mad:
    Hehe, I'd love to have said that But all these ideas always come to me afterwards unfortunately - to be honest, my mind was on my exam anyway and I was on my own in a familar place, so it just didn't occur quickly enough. I think I need to work on my assertiveness I'm just glad I won't ever have to endure being taught by her!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.