The Student Room Group

Should I report my teacher for allowing someone to verbally abuse me in class?

Well, as can be seen from the title, that's exactly what happened. I don't know wether or not to send it to the head. This is what happened. A boy said to me "you were born in a mudhut", he said this because of my racial background. I told the teacher in front of the whole class because she wouldn't shut her mouth to allow me to speak. After I said it, he said again "you said you were going to bomb me". Again the teacher did nothing and the whole class mocked me after that. I think what the teacher did is appalling and what my class peer said was deeply insulting. Should I report it to the head?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yeah report it either way
tell them what happened
and when they ask "what did the teacher do"
tell them
Reply 2
Original post by z33
yeah report it either way
tell them what happened
and when they ask "what did the teacher do"
tell them

I think I should based on that but the problem is that they probably won't stop her teaching us again. Thanks a lot anyway. I will report it though.
Take it to the streets, you headteacher has bigger things to worry about.
Yes, I hate teachers like that. You tell them and they don't do jack, you sort it out yourself and you get punished while the other person get sympathy from everyone.
Reply 5
Original post by Zargabaath
Yes, I hate teachers like that. You tell them and they don't do jack, you sort it out yourself and you get punished while the other person get sympathy from everyone.

It's true. The teachers in my school are so biased "free speech" etc. It's wrong the teacher needs a slap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Siqbal1239
It's true. The teachers in my school are so biased "free speech" etc. It's wrong the teacher needs a slap.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Free speech doesn't allow for outright racist comments, he wasn't criticising an ideology, he was blatantly insulting you as a person. Even if it did, free speech only means the Government can't silence you, organisations and individuals don't need to respect that right.
No. Be patient! However... do it after the same history repeats itself...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Keyhofi
Christ almighty. Teachers have an extremely stressful job, they see this crap every single hour of every day, and they are massively underpaid. Schools are too desperate to keep hold of their teachers because there aren't many new ones. Just learn to not take things to heart and defend yourself. A teacher's job is to teach, not look after every single student out of the hundreds they teach every day.

The thing is she is only a substitute, she's given slack as it is, not a single part of it stressful. It's her job to look after the students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, report her. Or get your parents to school and let them sort it out if it has really offended you. The school is responsible for making their students feel safe.
Original post by Keyhofi
Christ almighty. Teachers have an extremely stressful job, they see this crap every single hour of every day, and they are massively underpaid. Schools are too desperate to keep hold of their teachers because there aren't many new ones. Just learn to not take things to heart and defend yourself. A teacher's job is to teach, not look after every single student out of the hundreds they teach every day.

Oh please what a bunch of lies. So if he was to call them names back he wouldn't be doing anything bad right?
Reply 11
Original post by Keyhofi

This idea is so wrong, how can you defend her for not filling her duty

Posted from TSR Mobile
The teacher should have said, when you say prejudiced things it creates a dangerous environment, a bit like a ticking time bomb. The teacher's omission is dangerous and any student who said, 'do you live in mudhut' etc should not be in school if they cannot show other person's religion respect. It is human right to respect religion, ie freedom of religion...not freedom of speech. Prejudice being broadcast from a radio station in a Rwandan village was enough to cause one tribe to slaughter another tribe consisting of families, children, sons, daughters, with machetes.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think I should based on that but the problem is that they probably won't stop her teaching us again. Thanks a lot anyway. I will report it though.

no, of course they aren't going to 'stop her teaching you' over one mistake, teenagers are mean to each other... but if you make it clear that this is a RACIST incident, schools have to take racism seriously so you could ask what the school system for dealing with racism is and hopefully they would then talk to the teacher about how they should respond to racism in the future
Reply 14
Original post by doodle_333
no, of course they aren't going to 'stop her teaching you' over one mistake, teenagers are mean to each other... but if you make it clear that this is a RACIST incident, schools have to take racism seriously so you could ask what the school system for dealing with racism is and hopefully they would then talk to the teacher about how they should respond to racism in the future

Yes that's partly the problem, if she's incapable to teaching then she shouldn't teach

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes you should, without a shred of doubt. :yes:
Yes that's partly the problem, if she's incapable to teaching then she shouldn't teach

Posted from TSR Mobile

struggling to deal with one incident appropriately doesn't mean she's incapable of teaching

you need to learn how to do your job well and even people who are good at their job make mistakes or errors of judgement sometimes
what has happened to "sticks and stones can break my bones"?
grow a pair of balls (and deal with that person somewhere in a dark alley) or a thicker skin and ignore the bastard
Reply 18
Original post by simon_g
what has happened to "sticks and stones can break my bones"?
grow a pair of balls (and deal with that person somewhere in a dark alley) or a thicker skin and ignore the bastard

Whoever invented sticks and stones wasn't thinking straight... Of course that's one way to think of it, however I choose to keep civil.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whoever invented sticks and stones wasn't thinking straight...

just to clarify, it goes:
"Sticks and stones may break my bones,
but words will never hurt me"

What's wrong with that statement? I think it's pretty good attitude.

Of course that's one way to think of it, however I choose to keep civil.

whatever floats your boat.
however, I'd rather not chose to suffer, even if that would be a "civil" thing to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending