The Student Room Group

Official Christmas list thread.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DylanJ42
I'm thinking of getting "numbers and proofs" by Allenby, simply because I haven't got the slightest idea how to write proofs and this book looks like a nice introduction

Also @TeeEm any suggestions for books on topology (introductory of course), it looks very interesting indeed. However I've noticed universities don't teach it until 3rd year (at least going by the course content) so finding a book I could understand and appreciate might be like finding a needle in a haystack :ahee:

"How to prove it" by Velleman is a much better book for proofs and an intro to set theory,

The best intro to topology I know of for minimal prerequisite knowledge is Essential Topology by Crossley. First 6 chapters go through general topology, and the ones after begin algebraic topology, looking at the fundamental group and (much more importantly imo) homology. This stuff will require you to learn about groups first, though.
Original post by atsruser
x.

There's a lot here to keep me busy :biggrin: Thank you very much

Topology seems like a topic I would love, it would be an awful shame if I did dislike it due to its dryness/confusing terms :frown:
Original post by Gregorius
@TeeEm has passed on this one, so I'll have a go.

Topology is a very wide field - and the first division you might identify is between General Topology and Algebraic Topology. General topology generalizes the topological notions that we find in good wholesome everyday spaces like Rn\mathbb{R}^n to more general sets (and indeed to some pretty pathological monsters). It tends to get taught in the second year at university after you've understood what the topological aspects of ordinary spaces actually are. There's a very good book by Sutherland called "Introduction to Metric and Topological Spaces" that has been around for donkeys years. But be warned: we do general topology because we have to, not necessarily because we like it! It is not a sexy subject until you get into advanced applications such as fractals.

You've already noted that the fact that universities don't tend to start doing algebraic topology until the third year suggest that it is not really amenable to an elementary treatment. That's very true, it's a subject that builds on what you learn in the first couple of years of university, and represents a pay-off for all that unmotivated slog that you've gone through! So, with that warning in mind, here's a few recommendations:

One of the standard books these days is Allan Hatcher's "Algebraic Topology". It's very good and it's available in a free online version as well as in print. Try reading the first couple of chapters to get a feeling for the subject. Next up is Singer and Thorpe's "Lecture Notes on Elementary Topology and Geometry", which gives a good overview of the subject. Finally Massey's "Algebraic Topology: an Introduction", which is a nice treatment of the beginnings of homotopy theory, but which excludes homology.

Another approach, of course, is to use google and Wikipedia. There's lots of interesting material out there!

Thank you very much for your reply! :biggrin:

Would you suggest waiting until university to learn about topology as it is probably too advanced for me currently? I wouldn't want to read a book on topology if I couldn't even go 2 lines without needing to google a term (keeping in mind i want to read books on topology to (hopefully) enhance my excitement to study it at university, not read a book to strain my brain and give me headaches every evening (FP3 does that for me :laugh:))

I think I like the idea of Topology because of my interest in shapes etc, I also quite enjoy geometry in school. Do you know of any good books on it?

What are similarities and differences between algebraic and differential geometry?
Original post by FireGarden
"How to prove it" by Velleman is a much better book for proofs and an intro to set theory,

The best intro to topology I know of for minimal prerequisite knowledge is Essential Topology by Crossley. First 6 chapters go through general topology, and the ones after begin algebraic topology, looking at the fundamental group and (much more importantly imo) homology. This stuff will require you to learn about groups first, though.

I'll look into getting "How to prove it" then :biggrin: thank you very much

It may be best for me to concentrate on one thing at a time then, ie for now i'll read books on proofs etc and get familiar with those. Maybe over summer I'll look into topology etc
Original post by DylanJ42

What are similarities and differences between algebraic and differential geometry?

In the big picture, differential geometry studies a nicely-structured type of topological spaces, called manifolds, which can be equipped with a differential structure (i.e., give it some extra structure so that you can do calculus on it), and attempts to study such spaces up to diffeomorphism - which is the precise notion of "same" for manifolds. The generalised Stoke's theorem is an absolute gem which comes out of this theory (it encodes all the big integral theorems in standard/multi/vector calculus as special cases).

Algebraic geometry on the other hand, studies the geometry of the "shapes" and spaces one gets from polynomials. Algebraic varieties are spaces defined by the points at which some given collection of polynomials are zero. So for example, X^2+Y^2-1 is an affine plane curve in the x,y plane, which corresponds to a circle. AG studies these things by making algebraic descriptions of the geometrical properties which are used to understand what's going on. These descriptions range from quite to very abstract, and it's not so easy to get used to. The modern theory also requires students to learn a new "basic language" for mathematics, called Category theory.

So far, these sound very different. Well, in fact we can topologize varieties in a natural way, called the Zariski topology, which for nice ("non-singular") varieties will give a smooth manifold. So there certainly are connections, but I don't know anything about them.

Overall, with a standard background in analysis and topology one could get started with DG just fine. However one would need quite a strong algebra background to start a classical introduction to AG, and I doubt anybody has ever began to study the modern viewpoint earlier than their Master's.

I don't know of any resources for DG online (googling with .pdf will find you loads of things, though), but if you want to have a look at a good classical intro to AG, William Fulton's Algebraic Curves is now available online for free - just google it and it'll probably be the first link. I wouldn't expect to learn anything in detail from it yet, though.

Quick Reply

Latest