The new Star Wars movie is...Problematic.

Watch
Danny McCoyne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This is not really a spoiler so if you haven't watched the movie don't be worried to read further.

I want to begin by saying that overall the Star Wars: The Force Awakens was a welcome addition for me and one that I enjoyed immensely, however, one particular scene left a very bad taste in my mouth which ruined the whole movie for me. I can still taste the bile as I type this and it's an incident that left me deeply shaken and if I was going to be honest I would have walked out of the cinema if it wasn't for the fact that I was seated in the center of my row which would have made things awkward especially considering that I went with friends. Remaining in that movie theater against my better judgement is a decision I regret and it's not one of my finer moments as I consider myself steadfast in my sensibilities.

The scene which I'm referring to is when John Boyega's character was given his name by Oscar Isaac's character.

I have no qualms believing that most of you have no issue with this scene but to me, and most of the other black and brown people I have spoken to about this, this one scene has tarnished the entire franchise.

The implications of having a black character being given a name by a white character are HUGE. Historically, black slaves were given new names upon being bought by white slave owners - overseers, I call them - as a sign of subjugation and a callous bid to rid them of their culture and any 'baggage' they may be carrying.

When I first heard that a black character was going to be lead in the next Star Wars movie last year was elated and after seeing the first trailer my happiness was only confirmed as 'Finn' was conveyed as a big character in the overall plot of the movie, or at least appeared to be that way.

And what did we get, you ask? Yet another black sidekick to a white character, something we've been bombarded with over the years - Captain America's Falcon anyone? His story arc was secondary to Rey and he was constantly running behind her in every scene, following her like a little puppy and frankly speaking Fin was sold short, as were we.

Unless they give Finn a bigger story arc in the next movie, I won't be giving them my money that's all I know right now.

I apologise if this reads like a rant but I just wanted to be honest.
Lord Commander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You are insane
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You are ****ing crazy.
somnacin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I saw the word 'Problematic' and instantly facepalmed
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is like the racial analysis of Jar Jar Binks all over again.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
John Boyega's character was asked what his name was and he didn't know. He was then asked whether a proposed name, based upon what he already referred to himself as, was ok and he was happy with it. To draw parallels of that to slavery is more offensive tbh.

And he was not just a sidekick - he acts independently and his actions form multiple key moments in the film. His character was much more interesting than Rey's.
Gwilym101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did this thread get closed down or something? I could swear this was up about a week ago and had more responses. All of which telling the OP he was an idiot.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
John Boyega's character was asked what his name was and he didn't know. He was then asked whether a proposed name, based upon what he already referred to himself as, was ok and he was happy with it. To draw parallels of that to slavery is more offensive tbh.

And he was not just a sidekick - he acts independently and his actions form multiple key moments in the film. His character was much more interesting than Rey's.
This, essentially. Boyega is the most layered 'good guy' in the film. He far outstrips the time we spend with Rey.

It's just typical nonsense, really. Plenty of feminists have suggested Rey and Leia are sexist representations of women, so it's no surprise for the race card to be brought up.
apostrophe!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Poe isn't white.
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wasn't the character written with no specific race in mind? At least Jar Jar and Wado (or whatever) seemed manifestly stereotypical and I could understand why they might rub some people the wrong way; all I see here is someone working tirelessly to take offence.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)

Would rep

Posted from TSR Mobile
BobbyFlay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Danny McCoyne)
The implications of having a black character being given a name by a white character are HUGE. Historically, black slaves were given new names upon being bought by white slave owners - overseers, I call them - as a sign of subjugation and a callous bid to rid them of their culture and any 'baggage' they may be carrying.
Well, too bad you haven't studied history properly... I'm 80% convinced this thread is some form of satire or you are just blatantly ignoring reality.

Black slaves were given their slave names by other black slave owners, Africans did it, Arabs did it, you name it.
Link
Logi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Johann von Gauss)
Hollywood likes to remind minorities of "their place in society" - discrimination is a huge problem

I haven't seen an entirely black cast, I hope some day we will

Racism needs to be called out wherever it exists, and exerminated
If it's racist to exclude black people why wouldn't it be equally racist to exclude white people? It's like in the new Ghostbusters it's going to have an all female cast because the original was apparently sexist. How is that any less sexist than the original then? If you want to make a point about sexism why wouldn't you include a balanced cast, and the same goes for your dream of an entirely black cast.
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
cool story
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OP is right and apparently it gets worse, the internet spoilers say in the next one he gets captured by the First Order and they rename him Jermaine.
udsjufhbsg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The only thing that's problematic is OP's victim complex.
math42
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Logi)
If it's racist to exclude black people why wouldn't it be equally racist to exclude white people? It's like in the new Ghostbusters it's going to have an all female cast because the original was apparently sexist. How is that any less sexist than the original then? If you want to make a point about sexism why wouldn't you include a balanced cast, and the same goes for your dream of an entirely black cast.
I don't think most people who complain about equality are all that interested in equality; either that or they seem to think that the scales have to shift before they can return to equilibrium. It's like (some) feminists saying they want equality and yet practically celebrating the many advantages women have over men.
TaintedLight
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My only issue with the movie direction was how the team handled Captain Phasma. Downright pathetic and rushed. Other than the movie was a great show.

The guy portraying Finn came across as not so good actor as well. I hope he remains in a coma.
De Chirico
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Spoiler alert: JAR JAR DIES
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by De Chirico)
Spoiler alert: JAR JAR DIES
I wish

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (425)
56.52%
I don't have everything I need (327)
43.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed