holly_byrne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I applied for Civil Engineering from France in mid November and am studying the French Baccalauréat S. I was wondering when most unis get back to you, also do they all invite you to visit days ?
There are rumours that Scottish unis won't take many students from Europe/Scotland because they don't pay fees, anyone know if there is any truth to this ?

I have applied to the following :
- Bristol : received offer
- Edinburgh : pending
- Heriot-Watt : pending
- Southampton : received offer
- Surrey : received offer

Thank you !
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by holly_byrne)
Hi,

I applied for Civil Engineering from France in mid November and am studying the French Baccalauréat S. I was wondering when most unis get back to you, also do they all invite you to visit days ?
There are rumours that Scottish unis won't take many students from Europe/Scotland because they don't pay fees, anyone know if there is any truth to this ?

Thank you !
Not all unis will specifically invite you to a visit day. They will hold them, but you might need to check the individual uni websites for details of dates. If no dates are suitable you can always contact the uni and see if they can arrange a visit for you.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Thank you !
irrespective of whether or not you get offers from the Scottish universities you have 3 excellent universities to choose from. I cannot see you will be rejected simply because of finance in Scotland or anywhere else for that matter. visit days usually take place in feb/march. most unis will also arrange visits to the department if you ask them. some universities have campus tours either weekly or in some cases daily.
FionaMG
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Thank you !
Since you're applying from France, some unis may not invite you to a visit day on the assumption that it will be impractical/too expensive for you to attend. If you particularly want to visit any of those which have given you an offer, it would be worth your while emailing them and asking them about visit days.

This happened to my daughter (we live in Portugal). Two of her choices sent her an applicant day invitation and the other two didn't, but the two that didn't were happy to send her an invitation after she had asked for one.

As regards Scottish unis taking EU students, fees for both Scottish and EU students are paid by the Scottish government, so there is a cap on the number of places available.

It is my personal belief that the Scottish universities probably practise positive discrimination in favour of Scottish students, which means that if they have to choose between a Scottish applicant and an EU applicant who are on an otherwise equal footing, they will give the offer to the Scottish applicant. Consequently an EU applicant may have to submit a much stronger application than his/her Scottish counterpart in order to get an offer.

If your application to the Scottish unis is not "stand-out-from-the-crowd" standard, you may not hear from them until after the closing date for applications and they know how many EU students they can afford to give offers to.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FionaMG)
It is my personal belief that the Scottish universities probably practise positive discrimination in favour of Scottish students, which means that if they have to choose between a Scottish applicant and an EU applicant who are on an otherwise equal footing, they will give the offer to the Scottish applicant. Consequently an EU applicant may have to submit a much stronger application than his/her Scottish counterpart in order to get an offer.
If you can prove that, take them to court, as it would be a massive breach of EU law to discriminate on the basis of which member state an applicant is from.
FionaMG
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
If you can prove that, take them to court, as it would be a massive breach of EU law to discriminate on the basis of which member state an applicant is from.
I have no proof; it is simply a personal belief based on a couple of situations I know of where applicants have been turned down by Scottish unis for which they were suitably qualified, while receiving offers from English universities for similar courses requiring similar qualifications. But I think it would be perfectly understandable if they did. They have a set number of places they can offer so how do they choose between two otherwise equivalent applications? Unless they flip a coin, they're pretty much in a no-win situation.

In any case, the entry requirements that some Scottish universities ask EU applicants to achieve are outrageously high, making it much more difficult for them to compete on an equal footing with Scottish applicants. For example, according to their websites, Glasgow, Edinburgh, St. Andrew's and Stirling require a Portuguese applicant to achieve a minimum score in the Portuguese leaving certificate that corresponds to 90%. This is higher than the already-demanding requirements for Scottish applicants so, for these universities at least, a Portuguese applicant would be at an unfair disadvantage from the outset. Whether this is intentional or simply due to a lack of familiarity and understanding of the Portuguese education system, I couldn't say. I also couldn't say whether the same is true of other EU education systems, since I have no personal experience of them, although I do seem to remember seeing a post here on TSR by a Polish applicant saying pretty much the same thing with regard to the Polish system.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads