Economics or Computer Science A levels

Watch this thread
kendo9
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
At one of the schools I'm applying to, I'll be doing the 3 compulsory subjects, Maths, Further Maths and Physics for my A levels and I need to choose a fourth between Economics and Computer Science (the only two others they offer). Now I'm not sure which to pick. From what I've heard Compsci is very interesting, but my dad suggests that I do Economics because he has a master's degree in economics. I'm planning to do a physics degree, but I may change and do maths or some form of engineering, if that helps. Which subject links better with my other 3 A levels and my future uni aspirations? Also, which A level is more interesting in your opinion and why? Thanks
physicsx
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say that compsci is more linked to physics, however economics is still very interesting. Do what you love, I'd say.
username1435346
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
You will do a bit of programming if you end up doing a Maths or Engineering degree (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken) so from that point of view Comp Sci A Level will give you at least some foundation to build upon. Other than that they both are "good" A Levels, and although I wanna study Comp Sci at university I found Economics easier than Comp Sci.

If you don't like writing essay type answers you may want to pick Comp Sci but then again, most questions are not essay type, so I believe that's just a minor detail.

You seem to prefer subjects where concepts involve a fair amount of logic and hence you SHOULD enjoy Comp Sci A Level and the programming.

Revising Economics just felt like a chore tbh whereas figuring out how to solve a problem was a lot more fun.

But with all of that said, I believe your subjects are quite narrow with Maths, F. Maths, Physics and Comp Sci. I think you would benefit from studying Economics more should you ever choose Economics instead of Maths (at university). Some people do switch to Economics as there's still a large amount of Maths involved.

Final verdict: Flip a coin to decide. Best of 3. If it's a draw... Well don't pick comp sci because it can't be a draw XD
kendo9
Rep:
(Original post by WhiteBerry.)
You will do a bit of programming if you end up doing a Maths or Engineering degree (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken) so from that point of view Comp Sci A Level will give you at least some foundation to build upon. Other than that they both are "good" A Levels, and although I wanna study Comp Sci at university I found Economics easier than Comp Sci.

If you don't like writing essay type answers you may want to pick Comp Sci but then again, most questions are not essay type, so I believe that's just a minor detail.

You seem to prefer subjects where concepts involve a fair amount of logic and hence you SHOULD enjoy Comp Sci A Level and the programming.

Revising Economics just felt like a chore tbh whereas figuring out how to solve a problem was a lot more fun.

But with all of that said, I believe your subjects are quite narrow with Maths, F. Maths, Physics and Comp Sci. I think you would benefit from studying Economics more should you ever choose Economics instead of Maths (at university). Some people do switch to Economics as there's still a large amount of Maths involved.

Final verdict: Flip a coin to decide. Best of 3. If it's a draw... Well don't pick comp sci because it can't be a draw XD
Thank you very much for your excellent advice. May I ask, exactly how much essay writing is involved in economics, as I really dislike this ? And how interesting did you find both subjects? Thanks again
kendo9
Rep:
(Original post by physicsx)
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say that compsci is more linked to physics, however economics is still very interesting. Do what you love, I'd say.
Alright cheers!
username2130115
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
you have three math and science subjects. economics would make you a more-rounded candidate but computer science obviously has more relevance to physics than economics.
kendo9
Rep:
Yeah that's exactly what my teacher said. Thank you!
dinglebells
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kennethdcharles)
Thank you very much for your excellent advice. May I ask, exactly how much essay writing is involved in economics, as I really dislike this ? And how interesting did you find both subjects? Thanks again
There's a lot of essay writing involved in economics. e.g. for OCR, u have to do 2 25 mark essays and some other shorter 8/12 markers..
username1435346
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dinglebells)
There's a lot of essay writing involved in economics. e.g. for OCR, u have to do 2 25 mark essays and some other shorter 8/12 markers..
Bear in mind those are less of "essays" and more like lengthy answers with a very standard structure.
kendo9
Rep:
(Original post by WhiteBerry.)
Bear in mind those are less of "essays" and more like lengthy answers with a very standard structure.
(Original post by dinglebells)
Alright thank you both
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (72)
18.9%
The paper was reasonable (144)
37.8%
Not feeling great about that exam... (110)
28.87%
It was TERRIBLE (55)
14.44%

Watched Threads