The Student Room Group

Is it worth travelling 1 and a half hours one way to school

I'm trying to decide if I should move schools for sixth form or not. There's an amazing school I can go to but it takes an hour and a half to get there (one way). It is a great school though and they said something like 97% people get all a's and a*s at a level. I really want to go but is it worth the travel?
Reply 1
Original post by dee08
I'm trying to decide if I should move schools for sixth form or not. There's an amazing school I can go to but it takes an hour and a half to get there (one way). It is a great school though and they said something like 97% people get all a's and a*s at a level. I really want to go but is it worth the travel?

Are you sure this is actually true?

Anyway, I travel more than an hour to get sixth form and many other students live more than an hour and a half away. Distance isn't really a problem for me since I wouldn't do much with that time if I went to a closer sixth form. Sometimes I revise on the bus to be productive, by reading notes on my phone, or watching tutorials.

If its great and you're willing to travel that long then go for it.
Reply 2
Original post by kkboyk
Are you sure this is actually true?

Anyway, I travel more than an hour to get sixth form and many other students live more than an hour and a half away. Distance isn't really a problem for me since I wouldn't do much with that time if I went to a closer sixth form. Sometimes I revise on the bus to be productive, by reading notes on my phone, or watching tutorials.

If its great and you're willing to travel that long then go for it.

Oh sorry, I just realised 95 % were a stars and a's at gcse, not a level. It was 80% at a level
Reply 3
Original post by dee08
Oh sorry, I just realised 95 % were a stars and a's at gcse, not a level. It was 80% at a level

Have you visited the place?
Is there anything closer? And what's that like?
Is there not a sixth form closer that you enjoy? You shouldn't base it off pass rates.
Reply 6
Original post by kkboyk
Have you visited the place?

Yh, I did. Seemed really good, the only drawback is travel. Also, I'm not sure if it would put too much pressure on me. If theit results are so good they must be giving their students a lot of work to do, the travel might hinder this. I still don't want to rule the school out though :/
Reply 7
Original post by Tiger Rag
Is there anything closer? And what's that like?

There is but it's about the same as our school academically so idk. There's also a boys school that's letting girls into their sixth form, it's much better than my school atm but idk if I would fit in coz I go to an all girls :/
I used to do that and it drained me out so much.
Reply 9
Original post by flippantri
Is there not a sixth form closer that you enjoy? You shouldn't base it off pass rates.

There aren't really that many options for me. Most of my friends are moving to private schools but I don't see much point in that because I already go to a decent grammer school. There are a few but they aren't really academically that benificial
Reply 10
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I used to do that and it drained me out so much.

Was it really bad?
Original post by dee08
Was it really bad?

It was mainly because the buses I caught were always crowded and they didn't come regularly. I would have to leave my house at 6:50am or something just to get to my school by 8:15 or something.
Original post by dee08
There aren't really that many options for me. Most of my friends are moving to private schools but I don't see much point in that because I already go to a decent grammer school. There are a few but they aren't really academically that benificial

It really isn't worth moving if you are already at a Grammar school. You won't be able to spend enough time on your studies if you are travelling for three hours a day.
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79
It really isn't worth moving if you are already at a Grammar school. You won't be able to spend enough time on your studies if you are travelling for three hours a day.

Thank you
My sixth form is 2 hours away. But it's worth it as it's a very very good school and I know I will achieve there.
Bus journeys can be used productively as well. During AS exams I spent a lot of time revising/doing past papers on the bus.

I'd say go for it
Yes go. To my high school that I transferred to, it took me 2 hours to get there and 2 hours to get back home. It wasn't that good a school though. But in your case I would say do it!
I would say if you really want to go there, go for it - but be totally sure you're ready to make the sacrifice. My school is about 1h10m by bus - I find it quite draining and it means I get home late so there's less time to do work, which is worth considering. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest