Is this what we call equality of the sexes??

Watch
Sunshine1512
Badges: 11
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
How can we call how all of us live equal?
When there are many things everyday that are against what we call a equal society.

In my opinion notes are an example of this, correct me if I'm wrong but I do not think that even after people asking for women of the back of a £5/10/20/50 but it has not yet happened, When there are many key inspirational female figures in history and yet they only have had about two female figures on the back of a note that I have heard of.

Why? Is this the oppression of women and is this to stop females from speaking out?
Indeterminate
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Unfortunately, women are still being held back in many ways, so we still have a fair way to go

I would certainly welcome anything that promotes gender equality. Nothing is too small in this respect.
HegelianDilectic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've no problem with gender equality, if a lass is gobbing off I'd knock her out the same way I would with a bloke.
Mayhem™
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So you're basing gender equality on banknotes? How constructive :mmm:
Sunshine1512
(Original post by Indeterminate)
Unfortunately, women are still being held back in many ways, so we still have a fair way to go

I would certainly welcome anything that promotes gender equality. Nothing is too small in this respect.

Yeah but the prices women have to pay are too high, like if they speak out and they are threatened or like that girl who got shot by the Taliban and people throwing themselves in front of horses to get noticed. What price do men have to pay for saying something controversial to the 'norm'?
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sunshine1512)
Yeah but the prices women have to pay are too high, like if they speak out and they are threatened or like that girl who got shot by the Taliban and people throwing themselves in front of horses to get noticed. What price do men have to pay for saying something controversial to the 'norm'?
Taliban shot a lot of people and women aren't jumping in front of horses now. Really need to base equality on current society and not the past.

Also good job using an example such as a major extremist group to show equality in the UK.
Sunshine1512
(Original post by Mayhem™)

It was an example of sexual inequality, is that so wrong?
JRM3PM
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How can we call how all of us live equal?
When there are many things everyday that are against what we call a equal society.

In my opinion notes are an example of this, correct me if I'm wrong but I do not think that even after people asking for women of the back of a £5/10/20/50 but it has not yet happened, When there are many key inspirational female figures in history and yet they only have had about two female figures on the back of a note that I have heard of.

Why? Is this the oppression of women and is this to stop females from speaking out?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe queen elizabeth(a women) is only person, born in the last 100 years, to be on a british bank note. Therefor, anyone else that appears on uk bank notes was around before equal rights for men and women. No wonder more men are on bank notes, unless what you're suggesting is that we should rewrite history to make women look good?
Sunshine1512
(Original post by Vikingninja)
Taliban shot a lot of people and women aren't jumping in front of horses now. Really need to base equality on current society and not the past.

Also good job using an example such as a major extremist group to show equality in the UK.
What about the 11 women every hour in Wales and England who are raped?
JRM3PM
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What about the 11 women every hour in Wales and England who are raped?
Citation needed.
Gwilym101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mayhem™)
There is a specific issue tied to this that when the new currency designs were showcased and a woman pointed out that there was not a single woman (aside from the Queen) on any of the currency. She was then vitriolically attacked recieving rape and death threats over twitter for ages.
Gwilym101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by york_wbu)
Citation needed.
http://rapecrisis.org.uk/statistics.php
The Diplomat.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Goddamn Patriarchy innit
The Diplomat.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
we need more videos like this to bring about equality
JRM3PM
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That says 11 males and females, not 11 women. According to the source ~1.8 women are recorded to be raped every hour. I'd also like to point out that this is recording individual acts of rape, rather than the number of victims.

Something else to bring up is the fact that <1% of offenders that were found guilty, were female. Yet males make up 8% of rape victims.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Citation needed.
Don't you know every time a man sleeps with a woman it is rape by feminist logic
Gwilym101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That says 11 males and females, not 11 women. According to the source ~1.8 women are recorded to be raped every hour. I'd also like to point out that this is recording individual acts of rape, rather than the number of victims.

Something else to bring up is the fact that <1% of offenders that were found guilty, were female. Yet males make up 8% of rape victims.
Fair enough i just saw 11 (x) per hour and assumed that was their source. I literally typed in "uk 11 women raped per hour" and clicked that exact link.
Betelgeuse-
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You cannot reference something that happened over 100 years ago and something that happened in a third world hellhole of country as support for your argument of oppression of 2015 UK women
Zweihander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Diplomat.)
we need more videos like this to bring about equality
PRSOM.

2:48

Justice is a dish best served shoryuken :lol:
Sunshine1512
(Original post by The Diplomat.)
Goddamn Patriarchy innit
Exactly, I'm glad at least some people agree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (34)
28.81%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
9.32%
No I am happy with my choice (65)
55.08%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (8)
6.78%

Watched Threads