Anyone with aspergers?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Basically I'm thinking whether or not to get a diagnosis or not?

I have big issues with my confidence and don't like to talk about it...

How do you deal with aspergers everyday?
What do you have a strong interest in?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aspergers doesn't exist as a diagnosis any more. You'll just get a diagnosis of Autism if you do have it.

I have strong interests in forensics mostly.
dipka
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As Tiger Rag said they've changed what they diagnose now..

I have autism (diagnosed before the change) but I was 15 years 11 months so got basically no support then or as a child when I needed it.

I would always say to anyone that it's best to get tested. I can't say about weather to get a diagnosis or not because I don't know if you will or will not be diagnosed with anything. But if you're unsure and thinking about it then I would say you should because it's better to know if you do or don't than to always wonder. And, if you do the earlier the better. After I got diagnosed the college I went to after school failed to support me enough as I already applied and so did not get into support services from the very start. I failed there. I went to another college and got better support. It takes time, like years to get real change and life is still difficult for a while after being diagnosed but it is defiantly a good thing long term-and you have most of your life still ahead.

How do I deal with it everyday is quite difficult to answer. I like that I know I am different which I think helps me deal with it. I don't think about it every day though, I am how I am, I can't change it and thinking about it won't make anything different so there is no point in thinking about it every day.

I don't have 1 really strong interest or obsession in one specific thing as their is a general myth most people with Asperger's/Autism do. I do have strange interests for my age though-for example LEGO.

Hope some of this helps, If you have any other questions then ask.
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Try checking out Reading the Eyes in the Mind test (Baron Cohen). Interesting to do and may give you an insight.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's no support for adults at all. I've got a pretty serious problem (which I'm not going to repeat) which I can't get help for. Meanwhile, when I did try to get help from social services, they were more interested in getting me back into work.

Dealing with it everyday is quite difficult. I've only really got one friend who is aware of my problems.
Yael
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes I know lots of people with the AS
Yael
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest I was tested for it as well and yes I qualify on the autistic spectrum but I would never seek to 'utilise' this as per Equality Act 2010 because AS doesn't impair you from doing anything and CSR (corporate social responsibility) concept is one enormous BS as many from the Square Mile have told me.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Yael)
To be honest I was tested for it as well and yes I qualify on the autistic spectrum but I would never seek to 'utilise' this as per Equality Act 2010 because AS doesn't impair you from doing anything and CSR (corporate social responsibility) concept is one enormous BS as many from the Square Mile have told me.
I disagree completely. My Autism doesn't just affect me socially and I need a lot of help. It affects everyone differently. Just because you've not needed to use the Equalities Act, doesn't mean anyone else has never needed to.
Yael
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
I disagree completely. My Autism doesn't just affect me socially and I need a lot of help. It affects everyone differently. Just because you've not needed to use the Equalities Act, doesn't mean anyone else has never needed to.
Okay I was talking about my personal experience; as we know AS is on autistic spectrum so by definition whereever one finds oneself on the spectrum will alter that individual's experience.

Perhaps your case is much more severe than mine.
username2265529
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was diagnosed with Aspergers in 2009, and received some help with the condition but not really as much as I would have hoped.

It's a bit rubbish that they now clump Aspies and Autists together into one diagnosis these days.
thevamps99xo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have Aspergers syndrome, I was diagnosed in 2011 (5 years ago now, wow) I displayed some signs of it and my mum and dad took me to the GP and eventually I was diagnosed.

I go through phases all the time. The longest phase was the band The Vamps which has happened 3 years, and still going now. I also have to ask people what they mean if they use words I dont understand, or if someone on the TV or radio or in a book says something I don't understand. Luckily my family and friends are amazing. They still treat me like the person I was before I was diagnosed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
38.17%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
9.68%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.45%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (45)
24.19%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.44%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
8.06%

Watched Threads