The Student Room Group

Is it a good idea to get the Vauxhall Corsa Limited Edition as a first car?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hihihihihi
Yeah lol I thought it'd be a lot more, at first I went on compare the market and tesco quoted me like £620, then I went straight to tesco and they quoted me £570 but at the checkout page it said 'Insure the Box is the insurance provider', finally I went direct to them and got that price.
I was only allocated 6k miles though but got up to a 100 bonus miles per month depending on how well I drove (this was also a factor in the second years premium).

Also depends on where you live cause my sis has a 1 series and she's paying 1k through my parents address but she lives in central London where the quote was like 2.5k

So what do you think I should do? I actually wanted a VW Golf MK3-MK4 (you know the old school bad boyz) but when I searched for quotes, they were from like £5k-£10k. I don't understand why they're doing this, is it because of the VW engines or what? I can't seem to find a good affordable quote.
Original post by mrwhitz
So what do you think I should do? I actually wanted a VW Golf MK3-MK4 (you know the old school bad boyz) but when I searched for quotes, they were from like £5k-£10k. I don't understand why they're doing this, is it because of the VW engines or what? I can't seem to find a good affordable quote.

Depends on your budget. Don't like old cars, I'd get newish car but not special edition, you'd probably have to get telemetry box plus mileage limits if you want to decrease the insurance quote further.
Reply 22
Depends on your budget. Don't like old cars, I'd get newish car but not special edition, you'd probably have to get telemetry box plus mileage limits if you want to decrease the insurance quote further.

The only reason I'm going for the special edition corsas is because of the black alloys which others don't have, and it's ecoflex..
I got 13 plate corsa 5 doors (not limited edition) and my insurance was only £520 for first year with a telemetry box (was 20 yo), this year it has gone down to £420.

That's interesting. I've been driving for 3 years but only got my own car this year. It's a 2008 Mazda 2 and the insurance is £880 a year under my own policy.

When you renew it, do you do it automatically with the same insurer or search for the cheapest one again?
Original post by Silver Arrow
When you renew it, do you do it automatically with the same insurer or search for the cheapest one again?

Search for a cheaper quote (that provides the same or better cover obviously) then get on the phone to your current provider and see if you can haggle them to get a better deal.

If you can't get them to offer better cover or lower the price then jump ship.
If they give you a better offer then you get better cover for the same price (or less) or get the same for less
Original post by Silver Arrow
That's interesting. I've been driving for 3 years but only got my own car this year. It's a 2008 Mazda 2 and the insurance is £880 a year under my own policy.

They just sent me a email with new quote on the last month of my insurance, good price so I didn't bother searching for a new one
Original post by mrwhitz
I was wondering if it's a good idea if I should get the Vauxhall Corsa Limited Edition (probably 2012-2012 reg) because they're a lot cheaper and insurance companies don't charge you a fortune.

Also, when I mean as a "first car" I mean when you just have passed your driving test and have a full driving license, just to clarify that.

They just look beautiful too.. I mean, who would refuse it?
corsa.jpg
I've been just searching for quotes on uSwitch and the cheapest one I got is for £2,624. That's good, right? :P

Chavvy.
Commonly driven by those teens that essentially groom younger teenage girls by driving them to maccies. :biggrin:
A Golf GTI.. now this? You really don't learn.
I had a Corsa for my first car... Biggest regret ever! It was a massive pooheap! I was thrilled when it got scrapped lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
They just sent me a email with new quote on the last month of my insurance, good price so I didn't bother searching for a new one

A good renewal price? That's a first!
Original post by socialscience92
I had a Corsa for my first car... Biggest regret ever! It was a massive pooheap! I was thrilled when it got scrapped lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair if it was financially viable to scrap it, it must have been pretty old.
Reply 30
That colour scheme only suits the Arctic edition VXR Corsa, looks tacky on the standard body. I'd personally rather get a Citroen C1/Aygo/107 than that and it'll be a lot cheaper to run.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending