The Student Room Group

How do you revise for GCSE Science?

I really want to start revising now for my GCSE's, but I have no idea how to revise for the sciences (I do AQA Triple Science - Biology,Chemistry and Physics)
I've tried flashcards but for me, they didn't work as well for the sciences as they do for other subjects

What do you do?
What do you recommend?

Help Please
(edited 8 years ago)
I found that flash card did not work for me so i made posters which i stuck up around my house..

Some of my friend made mind maps which may be worth a try

Hope that helped
use loads of youtube videos especially for science - CGP books are the best for understanding key concepts. For topics you don't quite understand ask your teacher for help constantly until you get it and make to sure you listen in class at all times because every detail taught is IMPORTANT!
pretty repetitive advice so please follow it :h:
Youtube videos can be really good, or really bad. Khan Academy and Crash Course are good quality videos, but they are not tailored to GCSE, so they will go above what you need. Personally, I find that beneficial, as understanding at a more complex level will insure that you get it at a lower level.

Really, the best revision you can do is past papers, as they are literally your exam. The reuse questions too, so if you have done every paper (and older specs too) you are guaranteed to get some questions done perfectly. The problem with GCSEs is that you have so many of them, and practically it isn't possible to do every past paper for every subject, so you really have to organise your time and get as much done as you can. It doesn't matter if you haven't learnt part of it yet, as experiencing questions that you have no clue for will help when it gets to the real exam and you have a stupid question that you haven't been taught for. But dont bother doing the in exam conditions at this point. That can wait till you're closer to doing the actual exam.

Flashcards wont work for everything, but some things, like definitions, you will want to use for science as well. I use Anki, which is a spaced repetition software, where you have groups of cards and based on how well you did on them, the time until you next see them varies.

I hope some of that helps. I'm not studying GCSEs anymore though. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A-Level (Y13), so if you need any help with those specifically, ask away. (or music, I got an A in music at GCSE)
Does that book still exist and apply, "gcse in a week"? Saved my arse back in summer 04 it did :smile:
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Does that book still exist and apply, "gcse in a week"? Saved my arse back in summer 04 it did :smile:

I found some second hand ones, and they were pretty good for revision, but the specifications for most (if not all) exams have changed, so you have to be careful that you're not learning the wrong things/missing the things you need to know.
I just bought the official AQA revision guides since I hate the format of the CGP ones and read through them over and over again for a couple of months lol

Having A level experience now, if I could go back I'd have also done lots of past papers to get used to the questions since they reuse some and get a bit faster at answering them.
Original post by mice8cheese
I found some second hand ones, and they were pretty good for revision, but the specifications for most (if not all) exams have changed, so you have to be careful that you're not learning the wrong things/missing the things you need to know.

Aww sad to hear there isn't a current version to accommodate recent material :frown:
Reply 8
Thanks for all the advice
Will definitely make posters and mind maps to see if it helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending