Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hiya, have you all got your pre-release material now? anyone want to start discussing it?

ReputationRep:
    hi yep.. just got it now.. the story about the elephant is so sad! (feeling sorry for poor elephant!) shame its not poetry cos thats often easier to analyse..but hey, what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    hi yep.. just got it now.. the story about the elephant is so sad! (feeling sorry for poor elephant!) shame its not poetry cos thats often easier to analyse..but hey, what do you think?
    I've been trying to analyse it - I initially thought it would be awful, but it's OK actually. The elephant story is sad - he keeps shooting it over and over again!
    We've been told to do Who, What, Where, When, Why and How for the main text. I'm trying to do that at the minute, on a photocopy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thom18)
    I've been trying to analyse it - I initially thought it would be awful, but it's OK actually. The elephant story is sad - he keeps shooting it over and over again!
    We've been told to do Who, What, Where, When, Why and How for the main text. I'm trying to do that at the minute, on a photocopy.
    ye we've got that 5 Ws sheet as well.. there are only going to be 2 questions though, so do you thin kthe first one will be something like:

"to what extent does article 2,3 and 4 help you to respond to the text?"

ps. please will you put your photo up tom! its nice to see who ive been talking to in the evenings (pretty pretty please..ill even embarrass myself further by posting another one of me up to keep you company..)

ReputationRep:
    ye we've got that 5 Ws sheet as well.. there are only going to be 2 questions though, so do you thin kthe first one will be something like:

"to what extent does article 2,3 and 4 help you to respond to the text?"
    I didn't know there were just 2 questions. I thought there were 4. But yes, the first question will be the big one and will be about analysing how other articles affect interpretations of 'Shooting an Elephant'.

Sorry, no way.

ReputationRep:
    no, your teacher should have told you that with all the trouble the board have had with the format, theyve decided that 4 questions is too much to concentrate on in 3 hours..so now we just have two..the board even sent an example of the new format of the paper.. so anyway, the first question will be about your response to teh text..the second will involve other reading, and maybe a bit more in regards to the original text.. ill be hom ein about an hour, so ill post the example of the new paper up then

ReputationRep:
    are you sure about a change of format? first ive heard about it? and it doesnt say anything about it on the AQA site!?!?

ReputationRep:
    no, your teacher should have told you that with all the trouble the board have had with the format, theyve decided that 4 questions is too much to concentrate on in 3 hours..so now we just have two..the board even sent an example of the new format of the paper.. so anyway, the first question will be about your response to teh text..the second will involve other reading, and maybe a bit more in regards to the original text.. ill be hom ein about an hour, so ill post the example of the new paper up then
    OK then, I'll take your word for it. I must admit, 4 questions is a lot. I'm annotating Shooting An Elephant now, but I'm worried that I'm writing too much.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't hear about change of format - is this AQA B eng lit A2?

Please post up the example paper

Cheers

Ally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boxersarecool)
    I didn't hear about change of format - is this AQA B eng lit A2?

Please post up the example paper

Cheers

Ally
    Patience, my friend. Holly is going to do it. Just hang on.

ReputationRep:
    there is nothing about it in the 2004 specifications for 2004 examinations on the AQA site and the two question thing is introduced in 2005.................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmyriddle)
    there is nothing about it in the 2004 specifications for 2004 examinations on the AQA site and the two question thing is introduced in 2005.................
    Oh, well maybe it's not this year after all. It shouldn't make any difference to the way we look at our pre-release material, though - so don't worry too much about the paper format. I guess we'll just find out on Tuesday afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    yup so now we've cleared that up back to talking about the texts...

ReputationRep:
    okok!! im home now! just going to leaf through file to find the new one,..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmyriddle)
    yup so now we've cleared that up back to talking about the texts...
    So what have you done so far?
    I've annotated the Orwell essay, noting:
    Who?
    Orwell tells his own experiences in first-person narrative - allows him to mix reminiscence with the action

Where?
    Moulmein in Burma, associated with poverty, hate and negativity

What?
    Language (eg. violent and shocking - 'scored', 'crucified', 'unendurable agony')
    Themes - Orwell's conscience, coercion, mutual resentment

When?
    1936, so there are more conservative ideas in society - Orwell appears alone as a liberal (although racial slurs and sexism is still commonplace)

Why?
    Orwell wants to criticise imperialism and colonialism on a global scale, by informing the reader of his own personal experiences in the British Empire.

Anyone else's views would be welcome...

ReputationRep:
    ok heres the letter.......
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    ok heres the letter.......
    Hey, I remember now! We did get that letter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thom18)
    Hey, I remember now! We did get that letter!

hahahahaha!! ok..just gong to read about your 5 Ws..

ReputationRep:
    ok i dont have the sheet in front of me so im going to ask this anyway..are we sure that its orwells own experiences, or is it fiction? other questions:

is he a radical in our opinion?
    why did he hold this position of authority if he hated it?
    was he also therefore being oppressed himself by colonialism?

ReputationRep:
    are we sure that its orwells own experiences, or is it fiction?
    In the notes preceding Item One, it says that essays are non-fictional, and yes, it was a report on an actual event in his life.
    is he a radical in our opinion?
    He was a radical for his time, as the essay was so controversial at the time (there could even be interpretations of sedition in his words - "secretly, of course... I was all against their oppressors, the British"), but not by today's standards, which ties into the When? part, and cultural context parts.
    why did he hold this position of authority if he hated it?
    Don't quote me on this, but I think he put himself up for work in the Empire, stationed in India. Maybe he had to maintain his propriety in the Empire by remaining in his division and upholding imperialist values, as he says "a sahib has got to act like a sahib".
    was he also therefore being oppressed himself by colonialism?
    Definitely, but he only realises it from the elephant incident onwards. He mixes Orwell as a character (being naive) and Orwell the narrator (having hindsight), and shows that he looks back on his time with disdain, but when he was there he was pretty much oblivious to the oppression of imperialism.

I hope that helps. I'm pretty much grasping at straws here.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.